• Lilian

6 30.00%
  • Lily Anne

0 0%
  • Lily Annemarie

0 0%

Thread: Lily

Lily

We are trying to decide on a name for our little girl - due in the next 7 weeks. Lily is a family name that both my husband & I love. It will probably be what we call our little girl, but I'm worried that it is too simple (when I think of her becoming an adult) or too popular.
    Originally we were going to name her Lily Anne - then I googled & found the song "Demon You Lily Anne." (Although I've never heard the song) - This was very disturbing! I mean, who wants their little girl called a demon?
    So here are our options - Lily (too simple?)
    Lilianne (will it be pronounced well?)
    Lilyanne (too different?)
    Lilian (too old?)
    Middle names: Elizabeth,Anne, Marie, (family names of people we would love to honor) or possibly Annemarie or Grace. Thank you for your help!

Re: Lily

Quote Originally Posted by sarahg
    We are trying to decide on a name for our little girl - due in the next 7 weeks. Lily is a family name that both my husband & I love. It will probably be what we call our little girl, but I'm worried that it is too simple (when I think of her becoming an adult) or too popular.
    Originally we were going to name her Lily Anne - then I googled & found the song "Demon You Lily Anne." (Although I've never heard the song) - This was very disturbing! I mean, who wants their little girl called a demon?
    So here are our options - Lily (too simple?)
    Lilianne (will it be pronounced well?)
    Lilyanne (too different?)
    Lilian (too old?)
    Middle names: Elizabeth,Anne, Marie, (family names of people we would love to honor) or possibly Annemarie or Grace. Thank you for your help!
    I actually know a girl named Lily Anne, named for her grandmothers, Lillian and Anne.

Anyway, I don't think Lily is too simple on its own - it is elegant in a simple way. I don't care for Lilianne or Lilyanne, but Lillian, with its traditional spelling, is fine. However, I don't think this necessarily makes the name more fitting of an adult. Lily is perfectly suitable for a girl of any age in my opinion!

Lily Elizabeth - though this has a heavy "li" sound - or Lily Marie are my favorites, but you could do Lily Marielle (to honor Marie and Elizabeth), Lily Mariana (to honor Marie and Anne), or Lily Graciela (to honor Grace and Elizabeth).
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

I voted for Lilyanne. I would've voted for Lilianne, but I agree there will be pronunciation issues. I think Marie and Grace work best for middle names.

Just a side note...my favorite Lily name is Lily-Anna.
    ~*~Ari-Lee~*~
    Awesome Aunty to: Aria Gabrielle & Liam Davis

<3 My Furbabies <3
    Hannah Renee, Jasmine Natasha, Jamie Abigail...and foster-baby Fossie.

Top contenders for my next pup:
    Litzy, Windsor, Rosie - Diesel, Dutch, North

I love the name Lily, but it is getting really popular. Lillian isn't too old at all; I believe it's actually in the current top 100 in the US. This is my favorite of your choices-- it's classy, pretty, and will age well. I really wouldn't name her Lilyanne-- it seems cutesy and made up. Liliane is the French version of Lillian-- maybe you'd prefer that spelling? Also, I love the name Liliana! Another possibility is Lilia, which I think is gorgeous. For the middle names, I really like Lily Anneliese-- that way, you get to honor Anne and Elizabeth at the same time. Good luck!
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Lily is my favourite name:) Really, it it. If you are worried about it being too simple or popular than I would recommend the French Liliane which is equally gorgeous and pronounced just slightly different to Lillian.

Good Luck!

-Charlie
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

please check out my list!: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9785307