Names Searched Right Now:

Ita, Feige, Pessi, Talia...

I come from a line of strong women. The first woman we know of, Ita (EE-ta), was a Jewish Hungarian businesswoman in the 1920s. The second, Feige (fay-GUH or fay-GEE), survived the Holocaust along with her mother, and came to America. The third woman is Pessi (PESS-ee), my mother. I'm Talia (tal-YUH), the fourth woman in the line.

It bothers me that my name doesn't fit into the mold with the other women of the line. Ita, Feige, and Pessi are all Yiddish; Talia is a modern hippy Israeli-sounding name.

As a Jew, I have two names: an English name that I use in day-to-day life, and a Hebrew name that I use less frequently. My English name is Talia, and my Hebrew name is Avital Hannah. I hate, hate, hate the name Avital, and I'm planning on changing it soon. Originally, I planned on just changing it to Talia and ending it there, but now I've realized that I don't like the name Talia much either.

MY FINAL QUESTION: Can you think of any decent Yiddish names I could change my name to? All the names I can think of are really awful, or just not me. Normally I'd just go for Ita or Feige, but I want to name my daughter Feige Ita.

Some options:
    Shayna
    Shaindel
    Gittel
    Zissel
    Reyna
    Bryna
    Bina
    Freydel
    Fruma
    Leba
    Mindel
    Minna
    Elke
    Golda

Re: Ita, Feige, Pessi, Talia...

Liba/Lieba
    Mirele
    Raisel
    Rivke
    Zusa

Re: Ita, Feige, Pessi, Talia...

For what it's worth, I think that both Talia and Avital are beautiful. Your relatives sound like amazing people.

My favorites from your list:
    Shayna: I know a lovely Shaina...
    Shaindel: I think this is very pretty.
    Gittel: Ditto...
    Bina: I think this is sweet, and it reminds me of Sabina or Sabine, too.
    Golda: This is my favorite from your list. I'm not sure if you live somewhere in which pronunciation may be an issue, but if you do, I think that Golda is quite easy to pronounce. I think it's beautiful and strong.

You may also like:

Mira
    Roza
    Raina
    Rifka or Rivke
    Sorah
    Vera

I didn't realize that Mira or Vera were considered Yiddish, but the site on which I found them seems pretty valid. (Then again, while I'm Jewish, you surely know far more than I do about Yiddish names, so my apologies for inaccuracies) :-)

Good luck!