Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Do you like the name Daphne?

I love the name Daphne too! My associations are actually with Frasier, so it seems that there's plenty of variety in connotations. I like that it's familiar, but still distinctive, and somehow both friendly and intelligent.

I adore this name too! I liked it before nameberry but now I love it and would use it myself. I do think of Scooby Doo but that's not really a bad thing. She was quite a cool character and the pretty one too! :)

I don't really think it's tied to Scooby Doo that much. At least since there was another Daphne on "Frasier," the associations get mingled and weakened, so the name sounds usable and familiar and not so "like the cartoon?" when people hear it. Even so, it's not like Petunia Pig, and people like Minnie and Daisy these days even though they are a mouse and a duck. The only reason anyone now has a clear picture of Daphne on Scooby Doo is because of the live-action movies that came out a few years ago. I didn't see it, but I can hardly think they painted her in too negative a light to use the name.

I don't really like Daphne. It is not a terrible name, I just don't like the sound of it, especially a nickname like Daff or Daffy. It doesn't need a nickname, but it still sounds Daff-ny to me. I think the ancient associations are beautiful, so I wish I could get on board with this name. As it is right now, it is pretty enough, I guess, just not for me. I prefer Phoebe - but it took me a while to even consider Phoebe. I think it has the Feeb part that I don't like, but I don't even notice it anymore. Daphne is soft and similar and yet it hasn't planted itself in my mind as a beautiful choice. I think Delphine that someone said is another pretty and similar name. It sounds familiar but unusual, and stylish without being trendy. I would not choose it because of a personal association with someone whose last name is Delphin and pronounced the same. But anyway, you asked - I personally do not like Daphne but there isn't any reason to avoid it if you find it appealing. I am trying to think, maybe you are wondering if there is something you haven't considered - I can't think of anything else that might put you off Daphne, and I don't think the pop culture associations make this name unusable.