Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ashley

Ashley

Hi everyone! I'm new here:) My husband and I are actively trying to conceive, and as we talk about boy names, we've been having a little problem. My hubby's favorite name is Ashley. I actually really like it, but I'm worried it's too much of a girl name now. Do you think it can be redeemed and used as boys name again or are we way off on this?

Other names we're considering are Gable, Milo, Oliver, Calvin, Clark, Ian, Jacoby, Jonah, Abel, and Theodore nn Theo, and if we decide against Ashley, it may well end up as a middle name.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Ashley

I think Ashley is solidly in the girls' camp now. I have a very difficult time seeing it on a boy anymore. Much like Carol, Sandy, Jody, Kelly and Tracy.. I think it's masculinity is gone for good.

Which is kind of a shame. The name of Ashley Wilkes from Gone with the Wind always seemed to personify the perfect southern gentleman's name to me.

How about Ashton or Asher instead?

***After reading elea's post I think I should add that I am in the U.S.

Where do you live? I live in the UK and it is still prominently male here. No one would bat an eyelid at a male Ashley.

If you live in the US, you may get a few raised eyebrows but imagine if you met a male Bailey or Leslie? You may be a little surprised hearing them but, at the end of the day, they have a well known enough masculine heritage that people will recognise. It's the same with Ashley I think.

I really love your name choices especially Gable, Milo, Jonah, Jacoby and Theodore nn Theo :)
    Trends, styles and quirks of British names:
    www.britishbabynames.com

Hi, Lollipop. :-) Welcome!

From your list, I seriously love Milo, Oliver, Theodore, and Calvin!
    :-)

Here's what Pam and Linda wrote about Ashley for a boy:

"When a name has been on the girls' most-popular list for decades, it's no longer a viable option for a boy. Try Asher instead."

Here's what they wrote about Ashley for a girl:

"Ashley was a sensation in the 1980s and 1990s; it hit Number 1 in 1991 and remains in the Top 20. Still pretty but no longer even vaguely stylish in any of its numerous variations."

I have to say that I agree with them on both counts. (I'm sorry!)
    :-(

I'm in the U.S., and Ashley is 100% girl to me at the moment, but I bet that as it declines in popularity amongst girls, it may one day find its way back towards the boys' camp.

Good luck! :-)

I do think that Ashley has gone to the girls but Asher and Ashton are two great names that you could use instead.

However, I can't say I would choose the other names on your list either.

Of course Oliver is always popular as is Milo but they are a great style change to Ashley.

Jacoby is interesting but a little hard to say imo.
    Psalm 23