Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Jamie/Jaime

Jamie/Jaime

What is the correct spelling for a boy???

What is your opinion/thoughts on this name for a boy?

Re: Jamie/Jaime

As it turns out, Jamie and Jaime are completely different names. Jamie is a diminutive of James and (in my opinion) a much fresher nickname than Jim or Jimmy. Jaime is a Spanish variation of James and is pronounced HI-mee.

If you are thinking about the nickname, I would suggest using the Jamie spelling for clarity. If you like the exotic pronunciation of Jaime, I would suggest that spelling. Be prepared, though, to have it misunderstood as Jamie often.

If you want the nickname, I must ask, are you using James or just Jamie? Another option in the less-popular-James-nicknames category is Jem. I find this one particularly nice--though it does reming me of To Kill A Mockingbird.

In the UK Jaime is usually for girls and Jamie for boys.

I too like nn Jem, particularly for James Matthew, like in Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series where Jem is nn of Anne's eldest son (Anne's House of Dreams).

Jamie is a nn for the male name James. Jaime is from the French J'aime which mean I love, this seems for feminine to me and I would use this for a girl and James for a boy nn Jamie. Jaime pronounced the French way is like Jane but with an 'M'.

Hope that cleared some things up:)
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

please check out my list!: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9785307

I've always prefered the spelling Jamey for boys since Jamie seems to have been taken over by the girls.
    Top 10 Girls: Louisa, Helen, June, Frances, Elizabeth, Alice, Eleanor, Clara, Hazel, Sylvia
    Top 10 Boys: Henry, August, Samuel, Walter, Peter, William, Archer, Lewis, Theodore, Eliot