Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!

HELP!

I have three kids, two boys named Sawyer & August and a daughter named Isla. I'm looking for a name to go with theirs.

My husband is Australian and we both grew up on the beach so we love the ocean, summer, being outdoors and want a name to reflect that.

Sawyer was picked for Tom Sawyer, who represents (to us) being outside, floating down the river, fishing, . . .

We picked Isla, because we got married on a beach on a beautiful Hawaiian island and just fell in love with the name the first time I heard it.

August represents the summer and also because we met in August and got married in August too.

Any suggestions without naming them Ocean or Violet? I don't like a lot of word names - August is obviously the exception. :)

So far here is what I have come up with. But feel free to suggest more. Please!!!! This list is just our jumping off place.

THE GIRLS:

Bronte: A suburb of Sydney, Australia, where I met my husband when I was backpacking around Australia and New Zealand. Plus, I'm an English major and Sawyer is a literature name too. They prounounce it Bron-Tee over there, but we would pn it Bron-tae.

Cora: Reminds us of Coral (i.e. Great Barrier (coral) reef in Australia).

Malu: Isla made friends with a Malu when we went on vacation in Maui. She was the cutest thing.

Ariel: Isla's pick b/c she's obsessed with The Little Mermaid. Actually, all things mermaid. :)

Ciel: pn See-Elle. Means sky in French. Like it much better than Sky/Skye.

THE BOYS:

Finn: We both love Finn, but since we already have a Sawyer, we're not sure if we can have a Finn too.

Kai: Means ocean, but he likes it more than I do.

Names we crossed out:

River: Always think of River Phoenix, plus a word name.
    Maile (I like it except it is pn like Miley (Hannah Montana)
    Dylan (means from the sea, but too popular)
    Marina (word name, plus we live next to a Marina.)
    Sydney (too popular and don't love place names)
    Matilda (I love, but hubby's ex-girlfriend's name so definitely OUT!)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ashley

Sorry so long!

Re: HELP!

I'm not too good with these types of names, but Bryony, Junia and Soleil came to mind...
    I'll twist my brain for some more later :)
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

How about Cora Bronte?

And I think both Kai and Finn work. Maybe Finn can be Finnian or Finley. Or if the Finn/Sawyer thing really bothers you, how about Quinn and then find a Hawaiian/Australian/water/nature name for his middle.

From your list, I love Cora (one of my favorites) and Ciel, but think that Sawyer and Finn are too Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn together.

Water-related names:

Coralie
    Cordelia
    Nerissa
    Elodie (a bit close to Isla, though)
    Genevieve (nn Evie)
    Marisol
    Marin

Hudson
    Reed
    Caspian

Literary names:

Beckett
    Conrad
    Dashiell
    Salinger
    Tennyson
    Sinclair

Archer
    Atticus
    Bennett
    Gulliver
    Quillen

Girls:

Annabel
    Esme
    Ginevra
    Juliet
    Nerissa (literary plus water association)
    Scarlett
    Tamsin

Random names I can picture with Sawyer and August:

Abbott (nn Abe)
    Bennett
    Conrad
    Donovan
    Everett
    Griffin (nn Finn...Griffin and Sawyer feel less literary than Finn and Sawyer)
    Harrison
    Jude
    Maxfield
    Pierce
    Sullivan
    Truman
    Vaughn
    Wilson

Names that remind me of Isla's feminine feel:

Aurora
    Camille
    Celeste
    Daphne
    Francesca
    Georgiana
    Helena
    Juliana
    Mirabelle
    Miranda
    Rosalie
    Vivienne
    Viviana

I can also see Penelope (nn Poppy, Lola, or Nell) with Isla, August, and Sawyer.

Good luck! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ashley
    I have three kids, two boys named Sawyer & August and a daughter named Isla. I'm looking for a name to go with theirs.

My husband is Australian and we both grew up on the beach so we love the ocean, summer, being outdoors and want a name to reflect that.

Sawyer was picked for Tom Sawyer, who represents (to us) being outside, floating down the river, fishing, . . .

We picked Isla, because we got married on a beach on a beautiful Hawaiian island and just fell in love with the name the first time I heard it.

August represents the summer and also because we met in August and got married in August too.

Any suggestions without naming them Ocean or Violet? I don't like a lot of word names - August is obviously the exception. :)

So far here is what I have come up with. But feel free to suggest more. Please!!!! This list is just our jumping off place.

THE GIRLS:

Bronte: A suburb of Sydney, Australia, where I met my husband when I was backpacking around Australia and New Zealand. Plus, I'm an English major and Sawyer is a literature name too. They prounounce it Bron-Tee over there, but we would pn it Bron-tae.

Cora: Reminds us of Coral (i.e. Great Barrier (coral) reef in Australia).

Malu: Isla made friends with a Malu when we went on vacation in Maui. She was the cutest thing.

Ariel: Isla's pick b/c she's obsessed with The Little Mermaid. Actually, all things mermaid. :)

Ciel: pn See-Elle. Means sky in French. Like it much better than Sky/Skye.

THE BOYS:

Finn: We both love Finn, but since we already having a Sawyer, we're not sure if we can have a Finn too.

Kai: Means ocean, but he likes it more than I do.

Names we crossed out:

River: Always think of River Phoenix, plus a word name.
    Maile (I like it except it is pn like Miley (Hannah Montana)
    Dylan (means from the sea, but too popular)
    Marina (word name, plus we live next to a Marina.)
    Sydney (too popular and don't love place names)
    Matilda (I love, but hubby's ex-girlfriend's name so definitely OUT!)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ashley

Sorry so long!
    I think that Coraline "Cora" Bronte would be beautiful, and it combines everything you are looking for in a name. I think that Sawyer, August, Isla, and Coraline are very nice together, unless you wanted all the names to have the same syllables. I do think that Sawyer and Finn are too similar, even if you use Finley, and I don't think Kai fits in with the semi-classic feel of August and Sawyer.

Some others:

Kendra - "Water Baby"
    Tallulah - "Leaping Water"
    Sora - "Sky"
    Avari - "From the Sky" (This is pronounced like Avery/Avary)
    Teva - "Nature" (Hence the shoe brand...)
    Tivona - "Nature Lover"
    Doria - "From the Sea"
    Muriel - "Sea Bright"
    Avalon - "Apple Island"
    Evia - "Greek Island"
    Kelsea - "Island of the Ships" (Kelsey has a similar meaning.)

Troy - "Water" (or "Footsoldier")
    Sorley - "Summer Traveler"
    Tivon - "Nature Lover"
    Dillan (Dylan) - "Son of the Sea"
    Ronan - "Little Seal"
    Hume - "From the River Island"

Some great author names for either gender:

Alcott
    Auden
    Austen
    Beckett
    Crane
    Emerson
    Shaw
    Tennyson

(You could also use Thatcher for Judge Thatcher (or Becky) in Huck Finn, or even Aunt Polly! Harper is a name used in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.)

A good name is dependent on your last name, but my favorites are Coraline "Cora" Bronte, Avalon "Ava" Ciel, Avari "Ari" Tallulah, Dylan Shaw, Austen Sorley, and Ronan Beckett...
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude