Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Love it or hate it... my 2nd daughter has a unique name.

All of you've got a point. On one hand, there's Butterfly Annesly (did I spell it right?), a girl who may or may not choose Annesly for her name when she's older. On the other hand, Butterfly is light-hearted and welcoming even when smirked at. On the other other hand (lots of hands, right?!) Butterfly would be the best name there is in the next generations to come, where kids could indeed be named after typos. It's very true that any of this could happen, but we'll never know till she grows up, you know? Maybe there will be another name for her to choose - maybe she'll mix Butterfly and Annesly together into something strange and exotic. My friend name Cecilia is called Celie, for no reason. And ButterFLY and AnneSLY are the same, other than the F and the S being different. I mean, anything could happen, right?

As Butterfly is being homeschooled and living in Africa, I don't think anyone until she's old enough to go to college maybe would actually laugh at her name behind her back. I LOVE the name Butterfly, I actually have an old American doll named Butterfly and I've always wanted to be named Butterfly. Well, it was either Butterfly or Buttercup. But of course you probably couldn't name someone Buttercup. . . .

Butterfly is creative, welcomed in my realm of life, and I could actually use that for one of my characters (I'm an author, but I haven't published any books yet). Oh, and what is the name of your first child?

If you have any other children, name them something jungly, like Butterfly, only not Butterfly, seeing as you already have a child named Butterfly. . . . :) Anyways, good luck!

(If Butterfly calls you when she's eighteen and she's crying, you'll know that her name is probably being teased too harshly. I had a friend whose name was Skyler-Hope and she was laughed at too. Sorry, but you can suggest to her to use Annesly, you know.)

I wonder why you wrote in to get our opinions about your daughter's name, when you daughter is now 6 (??) years old. (I think that's right.) What motivated you to open yourself up to compliments and criticism about a name that is well established? I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but I would say, if you like the name, and your daughter likes her name, that is what is really important at this point.

At the time of your daughter's birth, you say your dad was so embarrassed and/or uncomfortable with the name that he was unable to say it to his colleagues. Well, I am happy to hear that he has grown more comfortable with the name. I suppose he really had no choice. I know of a similar situation -- some grandparents with a granddaughter named Precious. They were extremely uncomfortable with her name, and tried to get their daughter to choose another name. No luck. So, while I believe they still don't favor the name, they have no choice but to go with it.

However, if I am ever in a situation where my parents or in-laws would so abhor a name I chose for their grandchild that they could barely bring themselves to say it, I don't think I would put them through that. I think if my family hated my name choice to that extreme, I would choose another name. It's really the level of abhoring a name I am talking about. If they simply didn't like the name, but were not filled with angst every time they said it to a friend or colleague, I would still go with it. But I am not 'out to get them' through my naming choices. Perhaps you were (just a little bit), and giving your dad a little bit of a hard time gave you some small glee. Nothing so terrible in that, if it's true, which it might not be. Anyway, just a thought.

Best wishes.

I haven't read the other posts, but I just thought I'd give my opinion.

My personal worry about Butterfly, and the reason I wouldn't use it, is that I would be worried how well it would age, and the awkward nn (Butt?). However, it has a lovely sound, and such a wonderful association. Well done for going with what you wanted, and she can always use Annsley (Annie would be cute) if she finds she wants a more traditional name as she gets older.

May I enquire as to what your first daughter's name is?

i'm a fan of unusal names..
    i work in a professional environment and i encountered a woman the other day who was named Merry Nicole Christmas... no lie..
    I had to ask how it was growing up with a name like that.. she said that it had been hard on her in school, she got teased a bit.. but she hadn't been otherwise affected. i think pretty much all kids get teased about their names at one point or another..
    i grew up with Calissandrina.. i LOVE my name.
    it's unusual.. unique.. people always ask about it when they see my card and i love telling the story of how my parents picked my name...
    the point is.. little Butterfly Annsley loves her name. it suits her. all it's going to do in the future is give her an interesting topic to discuss.. and make her easy to remember.
    when she applies for that job.. you know the interviewer is goign to remember the bright, effervescent, cheerful girl named Butterfly..
    personally.. i LOVE the name you picked..
    but then again, i'm a fan of unusal names..

I too immediately wondered why you're asking for commentary on the name you gave your daughter six years ago. If this were a poll, I would definitely vote in the negative. I don't think Butterfly is a suitable given name. It would make a cute nickname within a family (just as one of my daughters wanted to be called "Kitten" when she was young), but I can't think of any respectable professions where the name Butterfly would be an asset. And as another poster remarked, there really isn't any nn for Butterfly that would improve the situation. I'm glad your little girl likes her name, although since she's not out among other children she may not realize what an unusual name it is. I'm afraid that if she were in school, she would hear comments and jokes about her name on a daily basis. Still this is her name, so it's important that she feels positive about it and continues to do so.