Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Love it or hate it... my 2nd daughter has a unique name.

My husband and I named our 2nd daughter Butterfly Annsley.

It threw my parents for a HUGE loop. My dad is a Doctor, and he found it difficult to share his new grandbaby's name with his elite friends. So they called Butterfly 'the baby' for ages. She's six now, and not a baby any more! So after a few years, they finally adapted and had to use her name!

We live in Africa, and she is home schooled. Peer pressure isn't a concern of mine. She LOVES her name, and it suits her!

I'm just curious, what do you think?
    ~Kate

Re: Love it or hate it... my 2nd daughter has a unique name.

Good job! It's a great name and even if she grows less enthusiastic about it as she gets older, she has a solid middle name she can fall back on. I know it's hard to go with a name that relatives turn their nose up at. I live in the U.S. where my favorite name, Jemima, is unanimously despised because of a pancake syrup brand called "Aunt Jemima" that features a black "mamie" as a spokesperson. I suspect this pancake syrup does not exist in the U.K. where Jemima is a very popular name. Anyway, my husband's family hates this name, as does pretty much everyone I know, so I have given up my dream of having a daughter named Jemima. But yay for you and your Butterfly!

You asked for honesty...

May I ask why you chose the name Butterfly? And is Annsley said like Ainsley or like Anne+slee? What is your first daughter's name?

Personally, I don't think it matters if you live in Africa and your child is homeschooled. People will have opinions wherever you go, especially if your daughter ever goes to or lives in the US, UK, or some other Western country. I think there are plenty of unique names that mean butterfly that I would've chosen over the actual name, Butterfly, for my child if I had an attachment to that meaning.

I'm sorry to offend!
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Quote Originally Posted by lemon
    You asked for honesty...

May I ask why you chose the name Butterfly? And is Annsley said like Ainsley or like Anne+slee? What is your first daughter's name?

Personally, I don't think it matters if you live in Africa and your child is homeschooled. People will have opinions wherever you go, especially if your daughter ever goes to or lives in the US, UK, or some other Western country. I think there are plenty of unique names that mean butterfly that I would've chosen over the actual name, Butterfly, for my child if I had an attachment to that meaning.

I'm sorry to offend!
    "People are going to have opinions wherever you go."

This is an interesting point. It is absolutely true, and it begs the question, how can you please everyone? If not all, how many people should you be trying to please with your child's name? Or which people? Exactly where do you draw the line with considering outside opinions? As I mentioned, my husband and his family hate my favorite name, so I've abandoned all hope in using it, but I wonder sometimes where to draw the line when considering opinions. You mentioned that western culture in particular should be considered. I think that's a little broad. She lives in Africa. Should families all over the world consider the fact that one day their child may visit the U.S. or U.K. when naming their child? What if your kid one day visits Africa? Will its presumably Western name translate well to another culture? What will the Africans think? Oh, no!

I don't think the issue is deciding which people to please or how many opinions to take into consideration. In my opinion, the question is, how will a child of name XX be received in her daily life (at school, at the park, at the grocery, etc), how will a teenager of name XX be received, how will an adult of name XX be received. Her name may appear on resumes, she may have to introduce herself over the phone in a professional environment (Hello, my name is XX), she will have to send e-mails or other written correspondence. What impression does name XX convey? Will she be taken seriously? Obviously you can't please everyone and I don't think that is the parents' job when naming their children.

Butterfly, in my opinion, is adorable for a child and conveys light-heartedness and happiness, just as a child should be. But I fear that it does not seem professional or grown up at all. What would you think if your doctor's name was Butterfly? What would you think if you saw Butterfly on a ballot? What would you think if you called a company and the receptionist introduced herself as Butterfly?