Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: sister for Isla Hope

Quote Originally Posted by kellihope
    Hello All! I am new to nameberry, but am finding it very fun & insightful! I saw today the blog post about all of your top 10 favorite names and saw that Isla was on a lot of lists, so I thought you might enjoy this naming challenge!

My dd is 9mo old Isla Hope, and she's as pretty as a picture, stops traffic sort of baby who has been walking since 8 1/2 months and is just the cat's pajamas! She's so much fun, we are working on another!!

If we have a boy next, he'll be Grant William (William is dh's mn, and his father's name - and it's sort of cool b/c Hope was my middle name and I gave it to Isla, so he's going to give William to Grant.)

We are pretty perplexed though on a girl's name. So here is our current list, I will * those that I like, but have yet to sell dh on. That doesn't rule it out in my book though, he didn't like Isla at first either!

My current Favorites:

Marin/Maren/Marina, possible nn Marni* - I'm really excited about this one, but dh is being stubborn about it.
    Freya*
    Gemma*
    Cleo/Clio* - dh really hates this one, reminds him of tv psychic, also we have a male sheep named Cleo, but I love it and think it goes great with Isla
    Ester/Esther*
    Calla* - dh thinks this is too close to Isla sound-wise, plus his ex's ln was callahan so he thinks that's too close. *eye rolling*
    Hazel
    Anabel*
    Camille*
    Aster
    Naomi
    Eliza
    Audrey (this is dh's favorite but I'm not into it, I used to love it but feel it's too popular and doesn't go quite right right Isla)

lol, not many names on this list dh DOES like! Well, what do you all think?
    Isla is too close for Eliza, just my thinking...

I think the best name to go with Isla is Fiona! Fiona Camille would be pretty! Others I like with Isla are Blair, Catriona, Greer, Lorna, Mairi (Mary), Marnie, and Skye...
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

I love the names Cleo and Isla together, I think they're so cute. Hopefully you can convince your husband to use that.
    I love Isla and Hazel together, I think they're so cute. They're both classic and pretty.
    Maren was on my favorites for awhile, and I think that Isla and Maren go so well together.
    I also like Isla and Anabel together, although personally I prefer it spelled Annabel.
    Isla and Audrey would be super cute, but Audrey is a little too popular for Isla. Maybe Audra?
    I love and adore the name Eliza, but I think Isla and Eliza are too similar to use :(

My favorites along with some suggestions:
    Isla & Cleo
    Isla & Annabel
    Isla & Hazel
    Isla & Audra
    Isla & Eleanor
    Isla & Maren
    Isla & Rosalie
    Isla & Olive
    Isla & Juliet

Your daughter sounds adorable - you have my belated congratulations! Isla Hope is a lovely name, too.

Marin/Maren/Marina, possible nn Marni* - I think Marina goes quite well with Isla, and is very pretty.
    Freya* - I adore Freya, and think Isla and Freya are just similar enough to make perfect sisters, but not too much so.
    Gemma* - I personally prefer some of your other names, but Isla and Gemma do make lovely names for sisters.
    Cleo/Clio* - I like this one, but I think some of your other options are better with Isla, personally.
    Ester/Esther*- I adore this one, and think it goes quite well with Isla, despite their having somewhat different feels.
    Calla* - this is quite close in sound to Isla ... not so close that if you both loved it it would be a huge problem, but close enough that I prefer some of your other choices.
    Hazel - pretty, and very nice with Isla.
    Anabel* - I feel this is too long to go with Isla, personally, but it is pretty.
    Camille* - for some reason this doesn't feel right with Isla to me.
    Aster - personally, I prefer Esther, especially as it avoids the 'ass' teasing. It also seems a little modern to go with Isla, but that is just my opinion.
    Naomi - quite pretty, and it goes reasonably well with Isla, but it's not as stunning as some of your other options.
    Eliza - I feel that this is really too close to Isla, unfortunately.
    Audrey - it is quite popular but I wouldn't say it was too popular (although I don't live in the US). It is such a lovely, classic name, and I think it goes well with Isla.

My favourites would have to be :
    Isla and Freya
    Isla and Hazel
    Isla and Esther.

Others you may like :
    Clara
    Nola
    Poppy.

Have you thought about middle names yet? How about another virtue name? Faith and Grace are very popular at the moment, but there are some other lovely choices out there - Verity is one of my favourites, and there is also Serena/Serenity, or, if you wanted to stick to one syllable, I adore Joy and Blythe.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle

Have you thought about middle names yet? How about another virtue name? Faith and Grace are very popular at the moment, but there are some other lovely choices out there - Verity is one of my favourites, and there is also Serena/Serenity, or, if you wanted to stick to one syllable, I adore Joy and Blythe.

Good luck!
    Dh is pretty set on having a "meaning" mn, his favs are Joy and Faith - I personally think its a little too cutesy, but I'm willing to let him have his way on it. I like to pick the first name and then find a mn that goes with it, I don't understand how people do it the other way around, I think it would make the job of picking a first name a lot trickier.

Quote Originally Posted by kellihope
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkle

Good luck!
    Dh is pretty set on having a "meaning" mn, his favs are Joy and Faith - I personally think its a little too cutesy, but I'm willing to let him have his way on it. I like to pick the first name and then find a mn that goes with it, I don't understand how people do it the other way around, I think it would make the job of picking a first name a lot trickier.
    What did you think of Caroline meaning Joy?
    Psalm 23