Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: pressure to choose a spanish first name..

If I were you I would not use a Spanish name. You and your husband are going to be saying it more than anyone (probably you!) so you have to be comfortable with it. It has to be easy for you to say! There are plenty of American names I wouldn't use because they just don't feel right coming out of my mouth. Using a name in a language you don't speak simply because the last name is from that language is totally ridiculous for people to expect. Sure, there are countless gorgeous Spanish name, but they generally do sound better when spoken by a Spanish speaker. There are plenty that sound gorgeous in English, too, but you shouldn't feel obligated to pick one. Daphne is SUCH a beautiful name! I'm sure your daughter would prefer having a name you love than a name that culturally matches her last name.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

I agree that you shouldn't use a spanish first name, unless you want to. Your last name is obviously Spanish, and that is enough to honor that heritage. You should maintain your tradition of using a Hawaiian middle name. I love the idea of a multi-cultural name. It is a lovely idea, and I wish I could use it. My background is all German though (husband too) and I refuse to use a German first name. I think Daphne is a great name, and it sounds fine with Rodriguez. What are you middle name ideas?

Don't waste another thought on it!! Yo uhave chosen a beautiful name for your DD!! My DH is Hispanic, and none of our 7 children , except one of our DD's who carries a Spanish middle name after her grandmother have a spanish name! Baby girl on the way is going to be named Sophie-Claire Juliette Estrada! We are not worried at all that the name is French and the last name Spanish- matter of fact we wanted it that way, as I have french on my side, but more importantly we just love the name. do what makes you and DH happy =0)
    ~ "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."~ Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by candy_kay
    I understand where you are coming from - my heritage is mostly German and my family is from Minnesota (but I grew up mostly in the South). My husband was born in raised in El Salvador. This has made the naming business much more tricky for us!

First, you and your DH have to be happy with the name. The other thing I tried to keep in mind is "how will my daughter's name make her feel when she is with either side of the family?". I don't want her to feel weird or bad if one side of the family pronounces her name weird or in a totally different way than the other side. I really want both sides of her heritage to be important to her.

The solution was a name that was kind of universal and a middle name that was spanish (and a spanish last name of course). My 3 year old is Sophie Esperanza and for my next little girl we've decided on Stella Josefina.

BTW, I think Daphne is a beautiful name and I can't think of any reason to not use it! You really do have to be comfortable saying the name and that is why I rejected a whole stack of very beautiful "Spanish" names. (And why my DH rejected a whole stack of other names...)

Good luck to you!

Just a question about pronunciation. Most Spanish speakers who are not native English speakers cannot pronounce s consonant clusters. So Stella might get converted to E-stella by your inlaws.... I think Estella is cute too, though.

Oh, yeah, I am fully aware that my inlaws will likely call her "Estella" or even "Estellita" but I am totally cool with that. I think it's cute and we only see them like once a year. My DH & I had that conversation before we chose that name. It was not a bad compromise for me considering how some of the other names we were considering would be ruined by one side or the other!