Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: pressure to choose a spanish first name..

Quote Originally Posted by nani1984
    i dont feel right yelling out a spanish name, it doesnt feel natural because i dont speak spanish.
    My sister had a similar dilemma in naming her son. Spanish speaking father was insistent on a spanish name with spanish pronunciation. They ended up going with 'Cristian' as that can work both ways. At first they insisted that EVERYONE pronounced it in the spanish way (sort of like crrreeeestian) but after a few months of that turning out very badly with our irish / northern european side of the family (no one could roll the r's) most people (other than his dad's side of the family) reverted to pronouncing it more like 'Christian'. That's the way they pronounce it at school now, and he complains that people always try to call him Chris as well as misspelling Cristian as Christian. Recently he announced that he hates his name and from now on wishes to be known as Joe ;)

I agree with the comment that those people are thinking along the lines of stereotypes. Of course you don't have a to choose a Spanish name, especially if you wouldn't feel comfortable saying it aloud.

I think the name Marisol (and many other Spanish names) are absolutely gorgeous but I'm not a Spanish-speaker either. I feel like an idiot on the few occasions I have to dust off my rusty high school knowledge at work! Spanish with a Southern accent doesn't quite work! LOL.

You should choose a name you love no matter what the "heritage" of the name is. Just ignore those silly people.

Daphne Rodriguez has a lot of character, I love it!

Hello, I just wanted to say that I adore your desire to name your baby Daphne. Its my name too, lol! Not only the Daphne part, but the Rodriguez part, too (except mine is Rodrigues)!! And...My husband is Mexican & I am Puerto Rican (with a splash of Filipino) and I was born & raised in Hawaii. Soooo many coincidences, I know! I didnt really like my name growing up, but as I got older I realized that my name is very unique and I ALWAYS get compliments on it. So, I would like to say to you....name your baby what you feel is a name that you will enjoy. Dont worry about what "other" people (including family members) think...Afterall, YOU are the one carrying the little darling for 9mos :) Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS on your baby girl!!

I understand where you are coming from - my heritage is mostly German and my family is from Minnesota (but I grew up mostly in the South). My husband was born in raised in El Salvador. This has made the naming business much more tricky for us!

First, you and your DH have to be happy with the name. The other thing I tried to keep in mind is "how will my daughter's name make her feel when she is with either side of the family?". I don't want her to feel weird or bad if one side of the family pronounces her name weird or in a totally different way than the other side. I really want both sides of her heritage to be important to her.

The solution was a name that was kind of universal and a middle name that was spanish (and a spanish last name of course). My 3 year old is Sophie Esperanza and for my next little girl we've decided on Stella Josefina.

BTW, I think Daphne is a beautiful name and I can't think of any reason to not use it! You really do have to be comfortable saying the name and that is why I rejected a whole stack of very beautiful "Spanish" names. (And why my DH rejected a whole stack of other names...)

Good luck to you!