Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

pressure to choose a spanish first name..

people keep asking me what im going to name the baby and i tell them im thinking daphne right now but im not sure, we have until feb. to decide. and they make this face (these arent family members by the way, just mostly strangers or people i encounter at work) and say but why dont you name her paola or lucero or a spanish name?

my heritage is half irish (moms side) and half hawaiian/filipino(dads side), but im sure theyre assuming im hispanic. my husband is mexican american. i had planned to give the baby a universal or american sounding first name so that everybody would be able to pronounce it including me, i dont feel right yelling out a spanish name, it doesnt feel natural because i dont speak spanish. and i dont see my mom saying lucero althought its a beautiful name.

for the mn i wanted a hawaiian name its a tradition on my side of the family. and the last name is rodriguez, so that takes care of the mexican heritage right? but then they ask me whats the baby's last name, i say rodriguez and they say daphne doesnt match! afterall my own mom gave me an american first name, hawaiian mn, and filipino last name...so i never thought about "matching".

do you think my baby will have issues later in life for having a non-spanish first name?
    Vote for Scarlett Mahealani as Gerber Baby 2012! Help my berry win a college scholarship C: Voting begins Sept 4th!

Here's the link to vote, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you! https://apps.facebook.com/gerberps/d...nt=your_entry1

Re: pressure to choose a spanish first name..

Quote Originally Posted by nani1984
    people keep asking me what im going to name the baby and i tell them im thinking daphne right now but im not sure, we have until feb. to decide. and they make this face (these arent family members by the way, just mostly strangers or people i encounter at work) and say but why dont you name her paola or lucero or a spanish name?

my heritage is half irish (moms side) and half hawaiian/filipino(dads side), but im sure theyre assuming im hispanic. my husband is mexican american. i had planned to give the baby a universal or american sounding first name so that everybody would be able to pronounce it including me, i dont feel right yelling out a spanish name, it doesnt feel natural because i dont speak spanish. and i dont see my mom saying lucero althought its a beautiful name.

for the mn i wanted a hawaiian name its a tradition on my side of the family. and the last name is rodriguez, so that takes care of the mexican heritage right? but then they ask me whats the baby's last name, i say rodriguez and they say daphne doesnt match! afterall my own mom gave me an american first name, hawaiian mn, and filipino last name...so i never thought about "matching".

do you think my baby will have issues later in life for having a non-spanish first name?
    Absolutely not, you should pick whatever name you like. And since your husband's heritage is being honored by the last name, it makes perfect sense to honor your heritage with a first name. If you have a French last name, are your required to use a French first name, etc? I think these people are just expressing a bit of a stereotype ... I'm sorry to say. There are many names -- both non-Spanish and Spanish -- that would go beautifully with the last name Rodriguez. In fact, since you don't speak Spanish, I would strongly discourage you from choosing any name that you would find difficult to pronounce.

Good luck.

First off I just love Daphne! My family hates the name. It gets pretty good support here so don't worry not everyone will crinkle their noses at it. My husband is Italian and Puerto Rican with an Italian last name. Neither one of us has felt that we had to name our children Italian first names to match our last. You shouldn't feel obligated to either. Honestly if you think about it if your daughter marries one day (yes looking WAY into the future) she'll most likely have different last name then. Name your daughter what you wish. Good luck :) Again, I just LOVE Daphne.

People don't realise they are being so tactless and putting undue pressure on you by their idle and thoughtless remarks.

I would keep the 'real' name you want for your baby a sort of secret from all those strangers. I don't think there is any need to tell them your favourite name on the list, the one fifth down on the list would do. After all you are not really asking their advice.

If Daphne is your favourite name use it but just keep your choice secret till baby arrives so you don't have to have to put up with people's opinions.

Having said that of course share it with those you love if you wish to.
    Psalm 23

No I don't! I think Daphne Rodriguez sounds fine. Name your baby what you want.

Also, I think the comment about you yelling out a name in Spanish being unnatural is telling. My mom always said that whatever name you choose you better be comfortable saying it 100 times a day, because you will be.

Best of luck!