Re: Help bridging the gap

Quote Originally Posted by elea
    My top 2 combos for boys and girls are:

William Rhys -- pretty much set in stone
    Macsen Hayes

Rose Annabel / Adele
    Livia Carys
    (karr-iss)

I love them all, but William, Macsen, Rose and Livia seem a bit mismatched. Or am I just over analysing?

I'm not having kids yet -- just obsessing!! ;) I was wondering if you could help me with some names that you think would bridge the gap between the 4.

Thank you!! :)
    How do you say Macsen? Is it Max-en or Mason? If Max, I'd go with Maxwell Hayes - a very smart and manly name. William, Maxwell, and Rose sound grand together. As for Livia, I'd go with Olivia, which is (surprisingly) a classic name like Rose. You could call her Livia or Livvy!

I love William Rhys, Maxwell Hayes, Olivia Carys, and Rose, but I think Rose needs a middle name with a "y" in it. I think Rosaleen Blythe would be pretty, called Rose.
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

People, seriously. Can we stop suggesting Maxwell?! Elea has already said 3 times (in addition to her guest blog today) that the Welsh variant Macsen is significant to her. So why try to dilute it to something as banal - and frankly, overdone - as Maxwell? If I get the gist of the post, what she is trying to do is to "mesh" her distinctive naming style within the potential sibset - not re-vamp all the names until they are sufficiently bland that they'd work with anything.

In response to the question, Elea, I'd actually go in the other direction - by emphasizing the more distinctive names in each pairing. Macsen, Carys, Rhys (or Hayes), and Adele (or Rosenwyn from your list of Cornish names!) fit together beautifully, IMO.

Apologies for the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by punkprincessphd
    People, seriously. Can we stop suggesting Maxwell?! Elea has already said 3 times (in addition to her guest blog today) that the Welsh variant Macsen is significant to her. So why try to dilute it to something as banal - and frankly, overdone - as Maxwell? If I get the gist of the post, what she is trying to do is to "mesh" her distinctive naming style within the potential sibset - not re-vamp all the names until they are sufficiently bland that they'd work with anything.

In response to the question, Elea, I'd actually go in the other direction - by emphasizing the more distinctive names in each pairing. Macsen, Carys, Rhys (or Hayes), and Adele (or Rosenwyn from your list of Cornish names!) fit together beautifully, IMO.

Apologies for the rant.
    That was totally unnecessary in my opinion. I hate to be blunt, but it was. Unfortunately, I hadn't read over the other posts when I commented on this particular poll, so I apologize for suggesting a different name. But everyone has different styles, and that doesn't mean that they are bland or inferior in some way.

I do agree, Elea, that if you like the traditional Macsen, you should stay with that. Would it be possible to find some spellings of the other names to fit with that? Macsen and Livia sound lovely, but the others are slightly off. Rhys is fantastic, by the way. Good luck in your future naming endeavors.
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Lemon & Jemma -- I love Maxwell! I've had Maxwell Theo lingering on my list for years. And I think you are right, Maxwell Hayes does look/sound very handsome and fits very well with William Rhys.
    I just...I don't know...I guess my head likes Maxwell more, but my heart prefers Macsen. KWIM?

punkprincessphd -- I'm very glad you like the idea of Macsen. And thank you for the suggestion of Rosenwyn. Funnily enough I had never really considered that as an option, but I could definitely use Rose as a "called most of the time" nickname :)

I think my problem is that I have loved William Rhys ever since I was a girl that I feel like all my other names have to fit with it. There are some names on my list that go perfectly (Frederick, Theodore, Maxwell, Julian, Rose, Beatrice, Annabel, Lydia) and then there are others that look a bit odd next to William and yet I just love them so so much (Livia, Carys, Kerensa, Macsen, Jago).

Maybe I just need to make a decision and stick to one or the other. Keep all the traditionals in the first slot and all the Celtic/exotic ones in the middle?
    Trends, styles and quirks of British names:
    www.britishbabynames.com