Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lela?

Re: Lela?

I think it is very cute. I like it Leela or Layla. I prefer Layla prn somewhat, but I think this spelling is more intuitive to people guessing Leela anyway, just a hunch. I don't know that it gets away from very popular names, as it's so similar, but all those names are pretty no matter if they are popular or not. This won't really be that distinctive, is I guess what I'm saying from a Lila or a Lola or Leila (aka Layla and other alt-spellings), and yet it is a different name, and it is named after someone close to you, so that does give it extra strength in my opinion.

As for unsolicited suggestions, I have really like Nila lately, sometimes spelled Neela, both prn the same. Someone suggested Nina as well, which has grown on me from a pretty strong dislike to totally WOW, I could consider that name. Paula doesn't seem to be used a lot in this trend, don't know why not, just for another name you might like - similar to trendy names but also substantial, and substantially different enough that it will stand out. Lena is also pretty, form of Helen via Helena. That is pronounced like Layna or Leena, either. I don't necessarily put a lot of weight onto how much people will say it wrong if she knows how to correct people, then they will learn.

I know a lovely Lela, and she pronounces her name "lee-la," too. I do think that she spent a fair amont of time correcting people's pronunciations, which may be something to consider.

I do think Lela is a beautiful name!

Good luck!

I love the name. It was my top choice but DH didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jill
    I know a lovely Lela, and she pronounces her name "lee-la," too. I do think that she spent a fair amont of time correcting people's pronunciations, which may be something to consider.

I do think Lela is a beautiful name!

Good luck!

The Lela I know had rare difficulties, like with substitute teachers pronouncing it "Layla", but probably half of them got it right. However, it *is* definitely something to consider!

Lela is a family name and I'm told it was pronounced lee-lah. I think it is very lovely name. I wish I could use it.