Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: The twins' names are going to be irish..

ok.. here are some of the combos we came up with, not sure how i feel about these yet.. input is welcome and greatly appreciated::

Caoimhe Darcy & Aibhlinn Ciara
    Caoimhe Liadin & Aibhlinn Ciara
    Caoimhe Roisin & Aibhlinn Ryann
    Caoimhe Liadan & Dierdre Roisin
    Caoimhe Ryann & Saiorse Maeve (not crazy about Maeve)
    Caoimhe Aislinn & Cadhla Teagan (we both love bothe these names but they too cutesy and matchy for our taste)

hrm.. that's all we've come up with that we could agree on. and neither of us is crazy about any particular combo..
    i decided that i'd rather use Aislinn than Aisling.. i like the double n's in that and also in Ryann and Aibhlinn. We both agree that we like Ciara for a middle name but can't agree on what to use as a first name..
    i like Aibhlinn for the second twin.. i think i might be able to bring DH around to it.. but not sure.. i think Caoimhe and Aibhlinn is a beautiful combo.. but DH is on the fence about all my Aibhlinn names..
    someone PLEASE HELP!!

Are you living in Ireland? My husband is Irish (but we live in the US), our first 2 boys were not named with Irish names. Then I became pregnant with our first girl, and I, yes I, was the one who was pushing for an Irish name. My husband could care less!!! Most of the Irish names are so hard to pronounce for Americans, so we had to be careful. Finally, I chose Alanna.
    Two other celtic (I say celtic, b/c I can't remember if they are Irish or of the Celtic origin) names that I LOVE are Sorcha and Catriona. But my husband won't budge for either of them.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by calisse
    due on january 17th.
    Btw. That's the exact day i'm due! But I'll be having the baby 5-6 weeks early.

my husband is from ireland. we're currently living in the states, but may be moving within the next couple of years.. he was pushing the irish thing.. i was iffy about it at first, but now i'm really all for it.. i love the idea of honoring his heritage.
    spelling and pronounciation don't concern me.. i like the wierd ones. i love how exotic they look and sound.. i grew up with a wierd name and, to this day, i love my mom for her creativity..
    we just can't find anything that we agree on. the only one we agree on so far is Caoimhe.. we like Ryann as a middle name.. but can't agree on a first name.
    and because we're having twins.. the task of finding a combo that we both love is just about impossible.. but i'm determined that we're both going to adore both names..

I'm loving your combos - particularly with Aibhlinn, as it's close to my top pick, Aoibheann. DO you prefer the Ai- spelling to the Ei- spelling (Eibhlinn)? I think the Ei- is more accurate for the "AY" sound, while most of the Ai- beginnings are pronounced "EE". Might want to double check with someone who passed Irish on their Leaving Cert!

I think Caoimhe Ryann and Aibhlinn/Eibhlinn Darcy would go well, or the combo of Caoimhe Aislinn and Eibhlinn Ryann (btw, is Ryann "RY-an", or "Ree-ANN"?). Either way I think the folw of the names is nice.

A word about Saoirse - this was one of our top picks as well, but JSYK it's very politically charged in the North (we spent 7 years in Belfast, and all our friends have cautioned us about the name). In the South (RoI), the political overtones are largely ignored, so if that's you intended homebase won't be much of an issue.

If I had to choose, I'd say push hubby for Eibhlinn (I think the Ei- spelling if you're also using Aislinn), especially since Caoimhe was "his" pick. Equality in the process, you know!