Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: The Emmeline vs. Emily Dilemma

I LOVE the name Emmeline!!! Way more than Emily or Emma. It just seems so classic. I pronounce it with a "line" ending. It reminds me of the movie Blue Lagoon. My personal concern in using it is that it will just be shortened to Em or Emme, and it's full beauty will only occasionally be appreciated on her wedding invitation, etc.

I also love the name Aveline and am considering using it. But I have the same concerns about it being shortened to some variation of Ava and the pronunciation issues. Will she forever be correcting people - a "line" ending vs. "leen" vs. "lyn"???
    And with Aveline there are pronunciation problems on the front end too! ( Ay sound vs. Ah sound???) I love the "line" because it reminds me of what I love about the name Caroline.

I love Emmeline! And as an Emily myself, I agree that it has a different feel. Dot'smom described it well. I also pronounce it line (not leen or lyn) and have never it heard it differently so I don't think you'll have too much of a problem there. I prefer Emmeline spelling rather than Emmaline or Emaline or others. To me, it further distinguishes it as its own name rather than a variation of Emma.

I blogged on nameberry about this phenomena recently, here -- http://nameberry.com/blog/2009/08/31...ers/#more-5078. And I have to say, though I also think the names Emmeline and Emily and Emma are all beautiful, Emmeline or any of the other variations do feel like close relatives of the two extremely popular names and so do not stand out as much as they might. I know that's not what you want to hear (and seems to go against most other opinions), but that's how I see it.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Quote Originally Posted by pam
    I blogged on nameberry about this phenomena recently, here -- http://nameberry.com/blog/2009/08/31...ers/#more-5078. And I have to say, though I also think the names Emmeline and Emily and Emma are all beautiful, Emmeline or any of the other variations do feel like close relatives of the two extremely popular names and so do not stand out as much as they might. I know that's not what you want to hear (and seems to go against most other opinions), but that's how I see it.
    I love the -INE ending on names like Emmeline, Clementine, Adeline, Caroline, Eveline, Madeline, Pomeline. But my favorite is Emmeline. Can anyone suggest more names with this sort of ending. Three I've thought of (& which I DON'T see becoming popular) are Valentine, Olivine & Ottoline. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use these ones, though. But maybe with the resurgence of Ottilie ...

I'm not looking for names that are pronounced -EEN, even if spelled with the -INE ending. It's more pronunciation than spelling I'm after.

More thoughts on Emmeline vs Emily/Emma?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deirdre
    Quote Originally Posted by pam
    I love the -INE ending on names like Emmeline, Clementine, Adeline, Caroline, Eveline, Madeline, Pomeline. But my favorite is Emmeline. Can anyone suggest more names with this sort of ending. Three I've thought of (& which I DON'T see becoming popular) are Valentine, Olivine & Ottoline. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use these ones, though. But maybe with the resurgence of Ottilie ...

I'm not looking for names that are pronounced -EEN, even if spelled with the -INE ending. It's more pronunciation than spelling I'm after.

More thoughts on Emmeline vs Emily/Emma?
    Thanks!

How about Idaline?
    Ida has the same sort of warm feel as Emma, and works just as well with a line ending, but is FAR less popular.
    Mom of one daughter, age 2, and name-enthusiast