Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Emmeline vs. Emily Dilemma

I love BOTH the names Emily & Emmeline (& Emma) for that matter, but I would probably never choose Emily or Emma b/c those names are just too popular. Emmeline, on the other hand, doesn't even rank in the top 1000 in 2008.

However, everyone here at Nameberry seems to be talking about Emmeline (variations Emeline, Emaline, Emmaline). (And dare I say the vast majority of us love this name.)

Is the name Emmeline destined to jump up the ranks, and become another popular name (even if it never reaches the top 10)? (Or is Emmeline merely popular on this web site ... I know that one's perceptions of the popularity of names can be a bit skewed by hanging around this site, as the people who write on the Nameberry discussion boards are not necessarily a "representative" sample.)

Are Emmeline and Emily too similar in sound? Is Emmeline perhaps appealing to us for the very reason of its similarity to Emily?

Does the popularity of Emily/Emma detract from a name like Emmeline (e.g., by reducing its uniqueness)?

How do you think Emmeline compares in feel/style/tone to Emily/Emma?

All three names are likely to use Emmy as a nn. Does the overlapping nn add to the dilemma & confuse the names even more?

I pronounce the final syllable of Emmeline with the same pronunciation as I would the word LINE (not as Lynn). Do Emmelines face a lot of pronunciation issues?

Other thoughts?
    Thanks!

Re: The Emmeline vs. Emily Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by deirdre
    I love BOTH the names Emily & Emmeline (& Emma) for that matter, but I would probably never choose Emily or Emma b/c those names are just too popular. Emmeline, on the other hand, doesn't even rank in the top 1000 in 2008.

However, everyone here at Nameberry seems to be talking about Emmeline (variations Emeline, Emaline, Emmaline). (And dare I say the vast majority of us love this name.)

Is the name Emmeline destined to jump up the ranks, and become another popular name (even if it never reaches the top 10)? (Or is Emmeline merely popular on this web site ... I know that one's perceptions of the popularity of names can be a bit skewed by hanging around this site, as the people who write on the Nameberry discussion boards are not necessarily a "representative" sample.)

Are Emmeline and Emily too similar in sound? Is Emmeline perhaps appealing to us for the very reason of its similarity to Emily?

Does the popularity of Emily/Emma detract from a name like Emmeline (e.g., by reducing its uniqueness)?

How do you think Emmeline compares in feel/style/tone to Emily/Emma?

All three names are likely to use Emmy as a nn. Does the overlapping nn add to the dilemma & confuse the names even more?

I pronounce the final syllable of Emmeline with the same pronunciation as I would the word LINE (not as Lynn). Do Emmelines face a lot of pronunciation issues?

Other thoughts?
    Thanks!
    I love the name Emmeline. Yes, I do think that it does sound similar to Emily, but to me, it more resembles the name Emma in feeling. Emmeline is I think is more sophisticated that Emma and more exotic than Emily. I think of Emmelines as siblings to Adelaides, and Cordelias. Emily is sister to Sarah and Elizabeth and Katherines. Emmas I see more so with Grace, Claire, and Annas.

Yes I think emmeline will become popular and in the top 50 but that will take time. Ppl like emmeline cuz it has the same feel as emma and emily. Even though emma and emily are popular they still feel classy and fresh unlike madison and other. I think emmeline will always feel classic and not dated.

Quote Originally Posted by merylp
    Yes I think emmeline will become popular and in the top 50 but that will take time. Ppl like emmeline cuz it has the same feel as emma and emily. Even though emma and emily are popular they still feel classy and fresh unlike madison and other. I think emmeline will always feel classic and not dated.
    ditto

I love the name Emmeline (and pronouce it like you do), and second Dot's Mom's analysis of the slightly different feels of Emmeline, Emma, and Emily. I also agree with Meryl's post about the Em names standing tall despite their popularity.

Best wishes to you!