Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Josephine or Ruby?

These are some two different names, huh. In theory, I would prefer Josephine, as I have liked this name before it was acknowledged massively as adorable. I had to throw it in the garbage myself because of a horrible woman named Josefina. Sad. Ruby to me was more of a spunky firecracker name, it is red and the birthstone for July and definitely has a fun imagery for me - not exactly my personal style. Other names like it, Lucy and Mabel, to me seem softer and more studious, not so loud and attention-grabbing.

However, the merits of Ruby are growing on me quickly. It has life and depth and softness of its own. I like my solitude, what can I say? I tend to prefer names that feel like they can stand to be alone without becoming lonely, but also friendly. Josie for a nickname is so cute. I also have like Joey or Joie or Joy. Jo has that social, friendly, happy, lively part and -sephine has that sound like Sophia, "wisdom," that sounds very contemplative.

Ruby is all social, happy, lively for me on the surface, but on a profound level, it is a precious jewel, a very special and rare thing, who would by all rights feel all right at times alone, and be very strong (9.0 on the Mohs scale), a corundum set apart from the rest (sapphire or emery) by its red color. I feel that this name has gained an edge for me. It is strong and an individual, a natural part of the earth, as well as sounding like the spark and sparkle, who attracts attention and is fun to know.

Oh Karen. I love Ruby and you just sold me on Ruby even more by saying it is the birthstone for July. I'm not pregnant yet but we're trying. If we get pregnant in October the due date would be in July. Yay! Okay thanks that all. I haven't looked at the birthstones for inspiration yet but it's a very good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    These are some two different names, huh. In theory, I would prefer Josephine, as I have liked this name before it was acknowledged massively as adorable. I had to throw it in the garbage myself because of a horrible woman named Josefina. Sad. Ruby to me was more of a spunky firecracker name, it is red and the birthstone for July and definitely has a fun imagery for me - not exactly my personal style. Other names like it, Lucy and Mabel, to me seem softer and more studious, not so loud and attention-grabbing.

However, the merits of Ruby are growing on me quickly. It has life and depth and softness of its own. I like my solitude, what can I say? I tend to prefer names that feel like they can stand to be alone without becoming lonely, but also friendly. Josie for a nickname is so cute. I also have like Joey or Joie or Joy. Jo has that social, friendly, happy, lively part and -sephine has that sound like Sophia, "wisdom," that sounds very contemplative.

Ruby is all social, happy, lively for me on the surface, but on a profound level, it is a precious jewel, a very special and rare thing, who would by all rights feel all right at times alone, and be very strong (9.0 on the Mohs scale), a corundum set apart from the rest (sapphire or emery) by its red color. I feel that this name has gained an edge for me. It is strong and an individual, a natural part of the earth, as well as sounding like the spark and sparkle, who attracts attention and is fun to know.
    Oooohhh..never thought of the nickname Joy for Josephine, so lovely. I agree Ruby is spunky, bright and seems much more outgoing than the very different Josephine. It is tough, we love both names.

I liked the suggestion of Ruby Josephine. Best of both worlds but then I have guilt over not using a family name as the middle name. Hmmmm..would my mother be sad? Probably.
    Thanks for the wonderful thoughts and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by emmy75
    Quote Originally Posted by karen

On a side note, this is a fall baby but my birthstone is Ruby.

Oooohhh..never thought of the nickname Joy for Josephine, so lovely. I agree Ruby is spunky, bright and seems much more outgoing than the very different Josephine. It is tough, we love both names.

I liked the suggestion of Ruby Josephine. Best of both worlds but then I have guilt over not using a family name as the middle name. Hmmmm..would my mother be sad? Probably.
    Thanks for the wonderful thoughts and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by jill
    Hi!

I really love both names, but if you don't want Josephine's name shortened to Josie (or something else), I think I'd go with Ruby. I really love Josephine, though!

Ah! I forgot about Colette! I love that name (Cosette, too), and if you're looking for underused names, I think it's a great option! (I love each of your options...) :-)

Have you thought about:

Ruby Josephine
    Josephine Colette
    Josephine Ruby

Colette Evangeline
    Colette Josephine (I think some of the others flow better...)
    Colette Mireille
    Colette Marielle
    Colette Rosalie

Some more names you may like:

Annabelle/Annabel
    Beatrix/Beatrice
    Cordelia/Cora
    Camille
    Celia
    Cosette
    Daphne
    Delphine
    Felicity
    Genevieve (nn Evie)
    Helena
    Juliet
    Louisa
    Mirabelle
    Opal
    Penelope (nn Nell or Poppy)
    Pearl (like Opal, it's less popular than Ruby)
    Phoebe (similar in sound to Ruby)
    Rose (as a first name)
    Susannah
    Willa

I think I'll pick the best of both worlds, and go with either Ruby Josephine or Josephine Ruby. :-)

I really love your list, and honestly don't think you can go wrong! :-)

Good luck!
    Delphine is on my list. Couldn't get the husband to go for it, but it is lovely.