Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Carolyn?

Re: Carolyn?

As a Caroline, I have to chime in here. There is a definite difference between Caroline and Carolyn. I am often called Carolyn by people, and I respond to it, but I don't consider it correct. Sometimes I will correct them, usually I don't bother. There are some people who just don't get the -ine/-lyn difference, but it is quite obvious to me. The -een pronunciation is French. I believe Carolyn and Caroline are two distinct names (albeit, very close), and not interchangeable. Caroline seems more classic than Carolyn. I really don't understand how people can think that it can be pronounced both ways (yes, I can get a bit heated up over this, having dealt with it my whole life:)

As for nicknames (I've seen some discussion of Caroline nn's on other threads) I have had a variety, from different people. My family sometimes calls me Cal/Callie. A grandfather called me Carrie. Friends have called me: Caro, C, Car, Caz (English). I didn't love my name growing up, but now I love it and think it's sophisticated and timeless. So I would highly recommend to anyone considering using it for their baby girl!

Re: Carolyn?

Quote Originally Posted by caroline
    As a Caroline, I have to chime in here. I believe Carolyn and Caroline are two distinct names (albeit, very close), and not interchangeable.
    So I would highly recommend to anyone considering using it for their baby girl!
    Isn't it interesting that two Carolines can have totally different opinions? We both love our names though and both of us would love to see more little Carolines.

I have found that some parents explicitly want a 'line' pronunciation and will make a point of it, but as I said before most go for the either/ or pronunciation (at least in my experience).

I had forgotten Cas/Caz which is the nn I get the most; if I had my pick I would go for Carrie and then Cas.
    Psalm 23