Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carolyn?

Re: Carolyn?

Quote Originally Posted by disa_lan
    Can Caroline be pronounced as Carolyn? If so that's great. I love the sound of Carolyn too but worried it looked a little "made up".
    Caroline can be and DEFINITELY is pronounced as Carolyn.

The name Carolyn peaked between 1930's to 1970's and the name Caroline dipped in popularity between 1940 - 1960.

My parents put Caroline on the birth certificate and Carolyn on everything else! Not fair but of course there has been no difference in the pronunciation, and there were more Carolyns in my day than Carolines, not so now.

Caroline has started rising in popularity since 2000 but in general it has been a beautiful classic over all the ages.

I spell my name the traditiional way now and I am thrilled to find out that I have family who share my name.

We (in Australia) don't generally differentiate between a Caroline and a Carolyn pronunciation wise and if people choose to say 'line' (I have never heard 'leen') then that is fine as is the 'lyn' sound. They are interchangeable.
    Psalm 23

I love Caroline! Carolyn is ok, but I personally prefer Caroline. My debate is usually between Caroline and Carolina. To me, Carolina and Caroline feel more sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo
    Quote Originally Posted by disa_lan
    Can Caroline be pronounced as Carolyn? If so that's great. I love the sound of Carolyn too but worried it looked a little "made up".
    Caroline can be and DEFINITELY is pronounced as Carolyn.

The name Carolyn peaked between 1930's to 1970's and the name Caroline dipped in popularity between 1940 - 1960.

My parents put Caroline on the birth certificate and Carolyn on everything else! Not fair but of course there has been no difference in the pronunciation, and there were more Carolyns in my day than Carolines, not so now.

Caroline has started rising in popularity since 2000 but in general it has been a beautiful classic over all the ages.

I spell my name the traditiional way now and I am thrilled to find out that I have family who share my name.

We (in Australia) don't generally differentiate between a Caroline and a Carolyn pronunciation wise and if people choose to say 'line' (I have never heard 'leen') then that is fine as is the 'lyn' sound. They are interchangeable.

Thanks Rollo :) I guess I always thought Caroline would either be a leen or line sound at the end. I LOVE that it can be pronounced like lynn at the end. I might have to play around with this one. It honors two of my aunts at the same time. :)

I love and use the Caro-line (like the word line) pronunciation myself, but think they're all pretty.

Speaking of the varying pronunciations, I never understood why on the TV show Little House on the Prairie, Caroline Ingalls was called Caro-line by her mother (in a flashback episode) and others, yet was always called Caro-linn by her husband, Charles. Did Charles not get the memo or something?

Hmm...

The pronunciation of Caroline (Ingalls) seemed to vary from person to person. I think almost everyone called her Caro-line, actually. May be attributed to dialect, I like to think, of the characters and their upbringings, social status and/or aspirations, and that it wasn't that important to correct (considering they nearly lost the crop every year) rather than lack of continuity.

I think of the lin pronunciation as either closer to French or more drawly and familiar, and -line as a formal yet American corruption. This is my perception and may not be accurate. In the case of Carolina, however, I like it Caroleena not Carol-eye-na.