Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carolyn?

Re: Carolyn?

Rollo - I thought Caroline Matilda sounded pretty - so I googled it and found out that it was actually the name of a princess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolin..._Great_Britain

Kind of interesting!!

Quote Originally Posted by megf84
    Rollo - I thought Caroline Matilda sounded pretty - so I googled it and found out that it was actually the name of a princess:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolin..._Great_Britain

Kind of interesting!!
    Loved reading about the princess. Her parents had good such good taste in names!
    Psalm 23

Can Caroline be pronounced as Carolyn? If so that's great. I love the sound of Carolyn too but worried it looked a little "made up". That's just me. Caroline is definitely classic but I thought everyone pronounced it with the leen or line ending. I have an aunt Carol and and aunt Lynn. I think I'm going to write to Caroline down on my list of middles if it comes back officially being able to be pronounced like Carolyn.

Caroline McKenna is nice kind of reminds me of Caroline Kennedy.

I love the princess tie to Caroline Matilda!

Rania Queen of Jordan and she is just gorgeous. The Rania's tie to royalty and a beautiful woman really appeals to me.

Affecting the "zippy" -lyn to names that ended in -ine, like Cathryn and Jaclyn was the style at one time. That really, for some, might make it more current or stylish now, like Brooklyn (there is a Brookline, Massachusetts, but it's pronounced line, not lin, and I haven't heard any babies named after it - it's just a completely different sort of imagery!) or Katelyn or Madelyn and such. So many. That's sort of the weak end of the trend. Real names like Marilyn and Jocelyn and Evelyn have probably not become as popular, as these are the standard spellings but camp it in with this kind of unsophisticated trend. Names like Josephine and others with a long een sound naturally avoid being spelled with a -yn, but some names that might be -een or -ine depending on preference, might spell ine as yne.

I think for the most part, the classic name with the classic spelling wins. Jazzed up spellings, even if they are historically legitimate variants, come off a lot less classy right now. There are people who think it is part of the process to wring a name they like into a yooneek spelling and Carolyn is quite a mild example of it. Then there is the one-true-spelling group (happily predominant at nameberry), which favors a classic, original spelling, which will hold up over time, which people will not be confused by or tend to misspell, which just looks nicer, no reinvention necessary.

And yes, you can say Caroline as Caro-lyn or -line, you choose. Bear in mind this is not the case with all names - sometimes there's really a correct way and the wrong way. I like Caro-line myself, but they're both nice.

I love Caroline Matilda!