Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Carolyn?

Carolyn?

I've also bounced back and forth to Carolyn. Maybe Carolyn McKenna. WDYT?

Caroline or Carolyn
    McKenna as mn instead??

Caroline McKenna
    Carolyn McKenna

What are you thoughts about Carolyn/Caroline?

Re: Carolyn?

I love Caroline, but Carolyn seems really dated. I think Caroline will age better into adulthood, since McKenna is part of the McK- surname trend and Caroline is a timeless classic. Definitely go for Caroline McKenna (which, by the way, flows really well as a combo)!
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Here's what Pam and Linda wrote about Carolyn:

"The phonetic Carolyn spelling, popular a handful of decades ago, has been steadily on the wane while Caroline herself has stayed strong. And that, we think, is how it should be."

I completely agree with them, preferring Caroline over Carolyn. I don't think that Carolyn is awful by any means, but it just doesn't feel as classic, timeless, and elegant to me.

I saw that you're considering McKenna on another thread, and while I can see the appeal of the "Mc" names, I do think they're a passing trend that will forever date a baby to the late 1990s and first decade of the 2000s. I guess it reminds me of the McKayla/Makayla/McKaila names, but feels a bit fresher.

I think there are a lot of more timeless names like Caroline that have McKenna's sound or feel, such as:

Miranda
    Matilda
    Mariana
    Anna
    Corinna
    Camille/Camilla
    Cora
    Diana
    Fiona
    Helena
    Juliana
    Susannah
    Veronica
    Victoria (popular)

The styles of Caroline and McKenna are polar opposites (not necessarily a bad thing), but between Carolyn McKenna and Carolyn McKenna, I'm voting for Caroline McKenna. I think the sound is great!

Edit: Not all of the above names work as a middle name with Caroline, but I thought I'd just put them out there in case you were open to ideas for first names.

Good luck! :-)

Me oh my this is my hobby horse.

Stick with the Caroline spelling but say it as Carolyn which imo has a sweeter sound.

I would love a Caroline Matilda.
    Psalm 23

I like either name Carolyn or Caroline, but I am not too crazy with the Mc names.