Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: What do you think of Verity?

Love it!

I have always loved Verity, though my hubby pretty much hates it! We joked that if we ever got pregnant with twins (boy and girl) he could name the boy Justus Josiah (nn JJ?) and I could name the girl Verity Grace! Total overload on vitues, that's what made this more of a joke than anything (and the fact that it's unlikely we'd get pregnant with twins boy/girl), even though we like all four of these names.

For what it's worth, on a different note, I don't necessarily think that Verity has to be a name that is difficult to live up to. Yes, it is a virtue name, but it can mean many things: "to know the truth", "to live for truth", "to be true to one's self", "to be in search of truth", "to always be truthful" (this would be the difficult one to 'live up to' possibly, but some of the other "meanings" might not be as weighty). I love names with substantial meaning, but also think that while a name can shape a person somewhat, a person can also appropriate and adapt the meaning of a name to suit themselves. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by bb2duesoon
    I have always loved Verity, though my hubby pretty much hates it! We joked that if we ever got pregnant with twins (boy and girl) he could name the boy Justus Josiah (nn JJ?) and I could name the girl Verity Grace! Total overload on vitues, that's what made this more of a joke than anything (and the fact that it's unlikely we'd get pregnant with twins boy/girl), even though we like all four of these names.

For what it's worth, on a different note, I don't necessarily think that Verity has to be a name that is difficult to live up to. Yes, it is a virtue name, but it can mean many things: "to know the truth", "to live for truth", "to be true to one's self", "to be in search of truth", "to always be truthful" (this would be the difficult one to 'live up to' possibly, but some of the other "meanings" might not be as weighty). I love names with substantial meaning, but also think that while a name can shape a person somewhat, a person can also appropriate and adapt the meaning of a name to suit themselves. Does that make sense?
    Afterthought: I just wanted to add that I do think some names (such as "Grace" -- not only because of its meaning, but also because of it's sound and name-style) don't leave much room for interpretation/adaptation.

Personally, I really really don't like it. I think it is too harsh sounding.

I knew someone called Verity, and it was nn to Vez. Definately not a very feminine name.
    Girls names: Sophia Gabrielle - Poppy Elizabeth - Alice Louise
    Boys names: Elliot David - Flynn James - Rowan Benjamin