Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Changing names :(

Hi, this is my first post... I stumbled across this site as I'm having major doubts about my sons names (I have twin boys, 10 months old :shock: ) I've never felt completely 100% about their names but since they've been born life has been so busy and I've been so tired I've never been able to work out the answer....

My first boy is Felix Peter and my second is Max Robert (their middle names are after both grandpa's)

I LOVE the name Felix but for some reason it just doesn't sit right with him. I don't really know why....

I've never been sure about Max for a name... when they were born he was supposed to be Daniel but my husband and I took one look at him and decided he definitely wasn't a 'Daniel'. We struggled to agree on a name and Max was much more his choice. I don't dislike the name but it's also never felt right and as Max gets older I find it suits him less. He is very small for his age (problem during the pregnancy caused him to have a very low birthweight) and people are already beginning to call him mini-Max :roll: I just don't want him to have a name which is easy to take the mick out of.

I wanted to call Max Alexander but my husband isn't keen on it at all plus his name is Alexis (French mother!) which he feels is too similar and wouldn't be fair on the boys.

Here are some names we considered during the pregnancy so you get an idea of what we like....

Patrick (but really really don't like Pat), Jack (but very popular in the UK), Thomas (love Tom), Finn (doesn't go with our surname) and Sam. I also really like Zac, Gabriel, Jude and Sacha but my husband isn't keen on any of those!

I guess I'm looking for ideas for a new name for Max and possibly for Felix. I've been through so many lists but can't seem to find anything :? I think I have name-list fatigue!

I have 2 months to change their names on the birth certificates......

Thanks for reading and if you have any inspiring names I'd really appreciate it!

Minty
    Currently loving....
    Girls; Emilia, Francesca, Elizabeth, Phoebe, Araminta, Rose/Rosie.
    Boys; Alexander, Julius, Jasper, Hamish, Xavier, Lars, Seamus, Jack.

Re: Changing names :(

I am so sorry you are struggling with their names. It don't think it would be weird or to change their names (name remorse is much more common than you'd think! I know several people that have done name changes in the first year of life), but you of course have to find a name that "feels RIGHT" for it to happen. The new names would have to feel right or you might end up feeling the same way in 6 months. Is your husband on board with a name change? Would your family be supportive? Ultimately it is your child and your decision, and you have to do what feels right, but it helps to have the support of your loved ones. Have you considered calling them by their middle names?

Quote Originally Posted by minty
    Hi, this is my first post... I stumbled across this site as I'm having major doubts about my sons names (I have twin boys, 10 months old :shock: ) I've never felt completely 100% about their names but since they've been born life has been so busy and I've been so tired I've never been able to work out the answer....

My first boy is Felix Peter and my second is Max Robert (their middle names are after both grandpa's)

I LOVE the name Felix but for some reason it just doesn't sit right with him. I don't really know why....

I've never been sure about Max for a name... when they were born he was supposed to be Daniel but my husband and I took one look at him and decided he definitely wasn't a 'Daniel'. We struggled to agree on a name and Max was much more his choice. I don't dislike the name but it's also never felt right and as Max gets older I find it suits him less. He is very small for his age (problem during the pregnancy caused him to have a very low birthweight) and people are already beginning to call him mini-Max :roll: I just don't want him to have a name which is easy to take the mick out of.

I wanted to call Max Alexander but my husband isn't keen on it at all plus his name is Alexis (French mother!) which he feels is too similar and wouldn't be fair on the boys.

Here are some names we considered during the pregnancy so you get an idea of what we like....

Patrick (but really really don't like Pat), Jack (but very popular in the UK), Thomas (love Tom), Finn (doesn't go with our surname) and Sam. I also really like Zac, Gabriel, Jude and Sacha but my husband isn't keen on any of those!

I guess I'm looking for ideas for a new name for Max and possibly for Felix. I've been through so many lists but can't seem to find anything :? I think I have name-list fatigue!

I have 2 months to change their names on the birth certificates......

Thanks for reading and if you have any inspiring names I'd really appreciate it!

Minty
    I love their middle names. What about Peter and Robert? I think it's great. Anyways, here are a few comments/suggestions.

Like Patrick, don't think you have to worry about Pat, just insist on Patrick. And I like Thomas and Sam from your list too.

Other suggestions:
    James
    Jonathan
    Eli
    Harrison
    George
    William
    Bennet
    Abraham (Brahm or Abe)

Good Luck! Btw...like Felix and Max too...but, you are right, you should love them!

Thank you for your replies... My partner is quite supportive about changing their names but the 'support' is wavering! Yesterday he seemed very keen on changing Max's name (but not Felix's) and suggested Tom but this morning he feels we should just stick to their names as it's been so long and it would be too weird to change them now. I've mentioned to my Mum and sister how I feel and I know I'd get their full support if I changed names. Not sure about other family members but not too bothered about their reactions!

Thanks for the other name suggestions... I do like their middle names but not enough to turn them into their first names.

I do like Thomas/Tom for Max.... I did try it out yesterday afternoon but it felt quite strange!

Tom and Felix doesn't sound as good as Max and Felix but I guess that's not a deal breaker!

Thanks again for your advice - it's really helpful.

Minty
    Currently loving....
    Girls; Emilia, Francesca, Elizabeth, Phoebe, Araminta, Rose/Rosie.
    Boys; Alexander, Julius, Jasper, Hamish, Xavier, Lars, Seamus, Jack.

I think Felix and Max are great, but I just wanted to say that if you wanted to make changes, go for it! At this point, you and your husband are the ones for whom it will matter the most. So don't worry about what anyone else will say.

You could also consider asking people who call him mini-max to stop that.