Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: I know that Nameberry users usually like more classic names,

Well, for starters, I think Hayley Julianne is a perfectly pretty name. Hayley has gone down in popularity and it's great that it goes well with your last name. I also love names that have meaning behind them and not just picked off a shelf.

I absolutely understand your concern for setting the precedence for children to come as I too was in this same predicament. Ashley was a name that I have always loved (since before high school). I had my mind made up around that name and my husband loved it too. Well, it wasn't until I was actually pregnant that I began to think about all of the ramifications that came along with Ashley. Will she hate having a dated name? We have no family ties to the name. It's so unlike my naming style, would she feel out of place with siblings named after an entirely different style? Will it prohibit me from using my style in the future and I'll end up with 1 name I love and 3 that I'm OK with?

In the end, the cons out weighed the pros. We too want 3 - 4 children and I simply wasn't willing to sacrafice their names for the sake of our first born. I went through a WHOLE gamut of ideas starting out at Emery and ending in our sweet Mabel Frances.

I know I'm being controversial by contradicting all of the "if you love it, go for it", and in most cases I would say that, but in this case I think you should maybe think through it more. I'd hate to see you love your daughter's name but struggle with finding and loving your other children's names. I wish you all the best, I know how difficult this process is!

Hayley/Hailey, etc. are very pretty names. But they rhyme with or sound very similar to a lot of other popular names that I don't like as well such as Bailey, Kayla, MacKayla, Kylie, Riley, etc. These names are called the Meganame according to Nameberry. Of all the Meganame group, Hayley/Hailey is my favorite name. But, as someone who was given a super popular and trendy name at birth - Deborah "Debbie", I recommend something less common and less trendy. It's great to honor friends, but it's also important to give your daughter a name that has a long shelf life. That is just my opinion, though, and I could very well be wrong about this.

omgily - I was actually going to suggest Kira and Mia, my girls names but left them off my list. I definitely think that Keira and Maya as well as Zoe, Alexa, Marlo and Ava (all though still too popular for me though) work with Hayley. Actually all your names are great.

Quote Originally Posted by susan
    Hayley/Hailey, etc. are very pretty names. But they rhyme with or sound very similar to a lot of other popular names that I don't like as well such as Bailey, Kayla, MacKayla, Kylie, Riley, etc. These names are called the Meganame according to Nameberry. Of all the Meganame group, Hayley/Hailey is my favorite name. But, as someone who was given a super popular and trendy name at birth - Deborah "Debbie", I recommend something less common and less trendy. It's great to honor friends, but it's also important to give your daughter a name that has a long shelf life. That is just my opinion, though, and I could very well be wrong about this.
    I second Susan and Carter, and like they said, there's no right or wrong here, only personal opinions.

Like Susan, my issue with Hayley isn't that it's not a classic name, but that it's part of what Pam and Linda have called the "meganame" trend, along the lines of Jaylie/Jaylee, Kaylie, Baylie/Bailee, Haylee/Hayleigh/Haley/Hailey, etc. (They wrote an interesting blog on this topic recently...)

If you were asking about a dated name that wasn't part of the Meganame trend, such as Brittany, Chelsea, or Ashley, or a fresh unisex name such as Sawyer or Rowan, I would feel differently, but this is just my personal opinion.

I knew of one Hailey who hated having to clarify the spelling of her name all time time and who disliked having such a common name, but there's a chance that your Hayley may feel differently.

In the end, if naming your daughter Hayley is what feels right to you, that's what matters.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best! :-)

If it really feels right to you, then go for it. Hayley Julianne is a pretty name. In reality, I don't think it's that important for siblings to have the same style name if you like the names. But if it doesn't feel right, then put it aside. As you plan to have more children, you could always use Hayley later if you have another girl and then decide if it fits with the names you've already chosen.

Have you considered using two middle names?