Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chlo (or Chloe)?

A friend is planning to name her baby girl Chlo (or Chloe, without the diaresis). She prefers Chlo, and after researching the name, she thinks that is a more accurate spelling of the name -- with "the dots" which indicate that 'o' and 'e' are pronounced separately. She has read the pros and cons of each way of writing Chlo/Chloe, but is unable to find any indication of an approximate percentage of girls with this name whose legal name is written as Chlo. She wonders how common this spelling is and if it is more common in some countries than others, knowing that the name is very popular in all the English speaking countries. She lives in the U.S. Do you know girls named Chlo? Do you see any problem with using that spelling?

Re: Chlo (or Chloe)?

Chloe is presently ranked #10 in popularity, and of all the Chloe's I've ever met (I can think of about 10 off the top of my head), none have spelled their name with the diaresis. (I don't know how to get one to appear on screen.) :-)

If your friend thinks that it's important to use the diaresis, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing so, but by the same token, I do think that it will cause more problems than it's worth (especially if she lives in the U.S.), because little Chloe (with diaresis) will likely spend her entire life correcting people who neglet to spell her name with the diaresis. Because Chloe is so popular, I think it's safe to say that everyone knows that the o and e are pronounced separately. (And the same goes for Zoe.)

I looked on the Social Security site, and while Chloe and its various spellings are listed, none of the spellings have the diareses. (Granted, Social Security may not record this aspect of the name.)

That said, I've never met a Chloe in the U.S. with the diaresis, and I'm guessing that for Chloe to have made it into the top ten, the majority of parents either opted not to use the diaresis or were simply unaware of the potential for a diaresis.

Best wishes to you and your friend! :-)

I don't think you will find anyone using the emphasis over the o and e in the English speaking world.

Chloe Skye makes a lovely combo in case she hasn't thought of a mn yet.
    Psalm 23

I'm a french canadian and we write the name "Chloe" like this : Chlo. I think that all of the spelling are nice...my favorite's Chlo because I'm more used to it. ;) But I like them all.

Thanks for the responses. From those (and since no one has posted that she does know a Chlo) -- and from internet searches, it appears that the vast majority of American girls/women with this name spell it without the dieresis ("dots"). This indicates that Chloe is the standard spelling in this country. It occurred to me after reading Jill's post that using the dieresis (Chlo) would have a similar result to using a "creative" spelling for a name (which I'm never in favor of): constantly stating how one's name is spelled differently from the usual/expected way.

The parents have decided to use the standard spelling. The baby's name will be Chloe Jane (no dieresis; Jane is a family name).