Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Minorly Offensive Names You Love (but can't use)

I love the name Madeleine, but in the UK it's too evocative of a little girl who went missing. The same goes for the name Holly - I loved this, but it was the name of one of two beautiful little girls who were murdered a few years ago (the other was Jessica, but somehow it didn't stick in my mind as much), and now it would just feel wrong to use it. I suspect stats on both names have dipped massively in the last few years because of the tragic associations, especially since they're to do with children.

I like the name Jezebel, but it has too bad of an association.

This is sort of different, but I love the name Juliet, except it was painful for me to read Romeo and Juliet. Did not like that play at all!

Yeah, I love the names Desdemona (Desi-cute nn) and Ophelia (nn Lia), but both of those have such tragic connotations as well, that I could never use them. Same goes for Juliet as the pp mentioned.

I actually don't worry about using Juliet and Ophelia, as they were both good persons at heart and that makes them worthy namesakes... I really really would want to use Iago though, but EVERYONE thinks of the villain in Othello, and he wasn't a worthy namesake you could say... It's one of the few names Shakespeare actually ruined by using IMO... It's so beautiful!
    Resident Norwegian, feel free to ask any questions regarding lovely Norse names and such! I'm more than happy to help ^^

Maeva + Everild + Rosa + Nimue + Ondine + Anaïs + Ophelia + Clio + Ariadne + Nona + Persephone + Lux
    Ambrose + Jorah + Philo + Silas + Orpheus + Hallam + Idris + Leonidas + Orion + Emrys + Graeme + Laszlo

Pearl + Valentine + Noble + Bloom + Prosper + Starling + Wren + Forest + Boone + Evening + Hero + Vesper + Royal

Quote Originally Posted by dearest
    I actually don't worry about using Juliet and Ophelia, as they were both good persons at heart and that makes them worthy namesakes... I really really would want to use Iago though, but EVERYONE thinks of the villain in Othello, and he wasn't a worthy namesake you could say... It's one of the few names Shakespeare actually ruined by using IMO... It's so beautiful!
    That's funny b/c when I hear Iago I think of the parrot on Aladdin!

Anyway, I really like the name Arian/Arien but when you say it aloud it sounds like Aryan, and I feel like a lot of people would take offense to it.