Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Minorly Offensive Names You Love (but can't use)

I love the name Madeleine, but in the UK it's too evocative of a little girl who went missing. The same goes for the name Holly - I loved this, but it was the name of one of two beautiful little girls who were murdered a few years ago (the other was Jessica, but somehow it didn't stick in my mind as much), and now it would just feel wrong to use it. I suspect stats on both names have dipped massively in the last few years because of the tragic associations, especially since they're to do with children.

I like the name Jezebel, but it has too bad of an association.

This is sort of different, but I love the name Juliet, except it was painful for me to read Romeo and Juliet. Did not like that play at all!

Yeah, I love the names Desdemona (Desi-cute nn) and Ophelia (nn Lia), but both of those have such tragic connotations as well, that I could never use them. Same goes for Juliet as the pp mentioned.

I actually don't worry about using Juliet and Ophelia, as they were both good persons at heart and that makes them worthy namesakes... I really really would want to use Iago though, but EVERYONE thinks of the villain in Othello, and he wasn't a worthy namesake you could say... It's one of the few names Shakespeare actually ruined by using IMO... It's so beautiful!
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

Quote Originally Posted by dearest
    I actually don't worry about using Juliet and Ophelia, as they were both good persons at heart and that makes them worthy namesakes... I really really would want to use Iago though, but EVERYONE thinks of the villain in Othello, and he wasn't a worthy namesake you could say... It's one of the few names Shakespeare actually ruined by using IMO... It's so beautiful!
    That's funny b/c when I hear Iago I think of the parrot on Aladdin!

Anyway, I really like the name Arian/Arien but when you say it aloud it sounds like Aryan, and I feel like a lot of people would take offense to it.