Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Minorly Offensive Names You Love (but can't use)

Have you ever found a beautiful name but were unable to admit that it was your favourite to other people because you'd seem like a racist/sadist/bigot/insert-unpleasant-name? Here you can share your love of tainted names with other people who appreciate that names should always be given a second chance.

I personally love Columbine. It's floral without being prissy, French without being frilly, a little Catherine and a little Lillian. And the upside is, no one else would have it!
    Girls' Top Ten: Painter, Caoimhe, Coppelia, Glasgow, Undine, Severine, Niamh, Lumina, Poem, Iphigenia

Boys' Top Ten: River, Lysander, Wilder, Gill, Phoenix, Melchior, Harry, Lee, Pryor, Lennox

Re: Minorly Offensive Names You Love (but can't use)

Quote Originally Posted by steerthestars
    Have you ever found a beautiful name but were unable to admit that it was your favourite to other people because you'd seem like a racist/sadist/bigot/insert-unpleasant-name? Here you can share your love of tainted names with other people who appreciate that names should always be given a second chance.

I personally love Columbine. It's floral without being prissy, French without being frilly, a little Catherine and a little Lillian. And the upside is, no one else would have it!

Hm...well, it's not racially offensive, but I love the name Emilia Nicole but I feel I'd never be able to use it as my cousin has two daughters, one is Amelia and the other has the middle name Nichola.
    Just a teenage girl who's been obsessed with names since the age of 5...

Current favourite girl names: Willow, Lily, India, Ava & Jamie

Current favourite boy names: Caden, Lucas, James, Cole & Nathan

well it is a bit drastic but you could emigrate to the UK and then Columbine would be fine! What about Celandine instead?

I thought of the name Mary Columbine many years ago. It's good that I didn't name my daughter that. Place names can be a problem if a tragedy happens in that place.

I love the name Jemima, but would never use it because of the syrup.

Love the name Benedict, but there's Benedict Arnold who is an unpleasant memory.

Barbie is a cute name that has been overdone by the doll.

It's not one I wanted to use, but my BIL and SIL were considering Myra at one point, but here in the UK it's a HUGE no-no because of a child killer called Myra Hindley. The crimes she committed (in the late 50s/early 60s), alongside a man called Ian Brady, are some of the most horrific and notorious in UK history.

The fact a woman could be involved in such horrific crimes against children, it shocked a nation to its core, and although I and many others weren't around at the time, we all know about the Moors Murderers, and in particular 'evil Myra Hindley'.

I would say Myra is on a par with Adolf here in the UK.

NB: Eventually my BIL and SIL accepted the name is unusable and scrubbed it off their list.