Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Re: Minorly Offensive Names You Love (but can't use)

I also like the name Jezebel but couldn't use it. Jezebel has a less famous but equally evil daughter named Athaliah. Love Athaliah but she is just to evil of a name sake.

Heard a girl being summoned by her mother in a store, "Tyranny, come here please!" WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by meghan
    Heard a girl being summoned by her mother in a store, "Tyranny, come here please!" WOW.
    She probably won't have much of a love life! I doubt anyone in the US would vote for her to any office. Tyranny is just so wrong. It does sound nice if you don't think of its meaning; I've gotten quite the odd look now and again for suggesting 'impale' sounds like it should be more pleasant than what it is (not for a name or anything).

Quite the opposite is when I really like something that would be so perfect of a name in the abstract meaning of it if it didn't sound so awkward or cacophonous. I can't think of one right now because I don't write them down, but I come up with these every so often.

i love prudence, gertrude, hortense,& persephone
    i could never use them as a FN though...

Quote Originally Posted by meghan
    Are you sure it was Tyranny and not Tierney? Tyranny seems way too mean to give to a child for me to think that someone really did it. On the other hand, Tierney is really close and I do know a little girl with that name.

Also, I am surprised by how many people love Columbine. And actually I would praise anyone who would be willing to use it. I actually went to Columbine and was there during the events. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to associate the name with a lovely little girl. Of course, I do understand the hesitation as well.