Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Osama! It's a really great name, and widely popular too until, well you know.

I deal with drugs every day at work so NO Allegra, Lyrica, Arava!!!!! Don't get me started on the names of birth control pills: Alesse, Aviane, Portia, Lessina, Levora, Yasmin, etc etc!!!!!!!!
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Mine is India.

I love it, but I can understand why many people consider it an elitist, racist, relic of imperialism and, therefore, ignorant and offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhope View Post
    Mine is India.

I love it, but I can understand why many people consider it an elitist, racist, relic of imperialism and, therefore, ignorant and offensive.
    I agree with you but a lot of people on Nameberry seem to like India so who knows.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

India was also a character from Gone With the Wind. I used to love the name Scarlett, when I was fourteen, but I think it's too iffy a source to get names from. I've known black girls named Ivory--I used to know two sisters named Ebony and Ivory, which I still think is a bit much--and I think it's a reference to the Ivory Coast.

As for Columbine, don't forget she's a character from the commedia dell'arte, too. She was Harlequin's mistress, and I thought it would be the loveliest name when I was a teenager. And then the shootings. I live in Colorado, and I think some people would barely bat an eye at it, and some people would be terribly upset. In the Italian her name is Colombina--I don't know that I like it as well, though.

I love the name Ramses. I know it's pretty much unusable, because of (flawed, I think!) Biblical interpretation that identifies Ramses II as the Biblical pharaoh, and, more importantly, because it's a condom brand, but I love Ramses II, and I love his favorite wife Nefertari, and I love the connection to the Shelley poem Ozymandias, and I think it's such a great name.

Violante. It looks way too much like "violence" and related words, and is really completely unusable in French. But it's so elegant!
    Charlotte
    Student, Writer, Reader
    Cecilia Sophie -- Benedict Camille