Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Minette - I think its cute and know like 3 cats with the name (it means kitten or more accurately the other word that starts with a "p") but the phrase "faire minette" is a french term for oral sex....so it's not exactly used for people anymore :/ but it was in a nameberry blog post lol

@alecto Odessa is also a small town in Texas lol

I worked in social services for awhile and dealt with a girl who named her daughter Aryana because of the Aryan implication Im not a fan of the name, it's nms but that definitely put me off of it and similar names forever.
    Last edited by thetxbelle; January 11th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

The only one I can think of is Arienne. I wouldn't use it as I prefer Arianne, but I really do love Arienne, too. I'm afraid everyone would go straight to Aryan, though, which is unfortunate! I think it's just stunning (and I commend the momma on here who used it!).

If they didn't have the associations they did, I would love to love Delilah and Lilith. They just hold too many negative images for me, but if they were gone, I'm sure I would love them! I love the nns Lily and Lila, too, so it would be a win. If the Biblical/Jewish associations weren't so strong. As it is, my Christian faith means everything to me, and I can't even imagine loving them, much less using them. They both have extremely negative connotations for me.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

Quote Originally Posted by k_lareese View Post
    Are you sure it was Tyranny and not Tierney? Tyranny seems way too mean to give to a child for me to think that someone really did it. On the other hand, Tierney is really close and I do know a little girl with that name.

Also, I am surprised by how many people love Columbine. And actually I would praise anyone who would be willing to use it. I actually went to Columbine and was there during the events. Nothing would make me happier than to be able to associate the name with a lovely little girl. Of course, I do understand the hesitation as well.
    Columbine Odessa is on my top 20 and it's moving up. I just love the name and flower and think part of the healing process is to un-taboo the name.

Other than Columbine, I am freaking having a love affair with the name Jocasta, but people always associate the name with the story of Oedipus. Honestly though, I don't care. I would use Jocasta and I would use Columbine.
    Last edited by nymphalis antiopa; January 12th, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
    Mommy of Juniper Teagan & Pyrus Nikolai

Catkin Ferelith, Celandine Ceridwen, Nettle Chiyo, Pennyroyal Matilda, Dandelion Jane
    Fox Atticus, Huckleberry Ivan, Senna Lazarus, Bramble Gideon, Thistle Dorian

Crushes: Myfanwy, Merewen, Anoushka, Heliotrope, Chihiro
    Angus, Jules, Bear, Larkspur, Blue, Robin

http://bloominggardenofnames.blogspot.com/

I love the names Shylock (the back guy in a Shakespeare) and Harlot (whore), but I wouldn't be afraid to use them. The child will be his/her own self and can change people's perception of the name if necessary. I'm a girl named after the freaking greek god of sex. Not even the goddess, and it doesn't affect me at all. Some people are more sensitive to that though.
    Last edited by ferntailwp; January 14th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

-linguaphile-
    Boys: Oliver, Felix, Jude, Balthasaru "Ru"
    Girls: Amélie "Millie", Indigo "Indie", Peridot, Jane

Yasmin ...
    Apparently it's a brand of contraceptive somewhere. All I know is that it's been one of my favourite names since I was a child and now I don't know if I can use it.
    Tallulah, Persephone, Eris, Saskia, Natasha, Zhanna, Matthias, Andreas, Dean, Isaac, Jude, Christopher, Caleb, Victor, Fabian, Skyler, Dexter, Cecily, Alannah, Savannah, Hester, Britta, Xanthe, Temperence, Violetta, Anton, Anatoly, Maksym, Ilya, Raphael, Gabriel, Xanthe, Carmen, Electra, Dahlia.