Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Edited for privacy.
    Last edited by saracita00; January 19th, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
    My March arrival:
    Dulcinea Tesla
    We call her Daisy
    in honor of my mom.

How come Sol isn't considered Norwegian? Solveig is a Norwegian name. Did Sol come from Latin and is -veig just added to it?

Very interesting post. My grandmother Gerd was born in Bergen and our Norwegian heritage has always been important to us. Growing up our Norwegian aunts would come over in the summer and rent a giant Buick which they would use to visit all the family members. We called it the Tantemobile. Some of these names you mentioned have counterparts in English -- Emerich, for example, or Viveca -- and others, as you said, are clearly versions of male names. As for Thomine, I think the Cornish Tamsin is a better feminisation of Thomas than Thomasina, which was the name of a Paul Gallico story and a Disney movie.

I've always wondered if our family names are still in use in Norway, or if they would be considered hopelessly old-fashioned now. My great-great-grandparents were Kristian-Sebastian and Berte, and they had thirteen children (eight survived): Berentine, Ottar, Ketil, Erling, Gudrun, Sofie-Katarine, Anna, Einar, and Solveig. (The others died as infants and their names were re-used.)

Did Princess Marthe Louise name her daughters Isadora and Tallulah because of Isadora Duncan and Tallulah Bankhead? I always wondered.

@Elidaw - Elida is a favourite of mine, and while you can never be sure what's correct, all my Norwegian sources list it as Norse in origin, from Ellidi which means 'fast sailor' or 'ship with wings', so I can only assure you that it means something with speed and has been in use in Scandinavian countries for at least 1000 years. She's a beauty, and even though it might not have been a wholly pleasant experience for you to be named Elida, the uniqueness gives you a nice conversation starter which might be helpful as a journalist? ^^

@Arreisenlaluz9 - Emrik sounds very dignified on an American boy, it's a good name!

@Saracita - Iverine is wonderful! She's a feminine form of Iver which is a variant of the more common Ivar (my uncle's name actually) which means 'yew-tree' which was brought to England by Vikings and adopted as Ivor. She sounds so beautiful in English, lively and elegant, and you could use familiar Ivy as a nickname if that's important. Since you like Iverine I'm guessing you might be a bit adventurous in your boy choices as well, and my first thought was Alvarin, but he's very similar to Iverine so it would probably be troublesome to have both. Irish/Norwegian makes me think Taran. It's a boys name in Ireland, but a girls name (variant of Torunn) in Norway although most Norwegians would be surprised by it since it doesn't sound like a girls name to Norwegian ears. Other Norse suggestions: Alvar, Andor, Ari, Astor, Audun, Bo (not meaning handsome and French related, but Norse meaning 'to live'), Ellef, Elling, Eimund, Eivind, Eyolv, Haftor, Ingnor, Jarand (prn. YA-ran), Kittel, Olav, Olai, Rune/Runi, Sigmund, Sindri, Tellef, Tor (just Tor, it's even a nature name in English!), Trygg (means 'safe') and Yngvi. These are from my list though, so they're all rare in Norway as well which means there are probably a lot more names that would fit the bill for you but aren't on my list so I can't remember them right now. Most names ending in -mund have a Norse connection, there are a lot of them and I actually came across a new one today, Bergmund. The final D is silent in almost all dialects here in Norway, so it would be pronounces BERG-mun. Others are Amund, Dagmund, Edmund, Eimund, Emund, Fredmund (Fred is the Norwegian word for 'peace' which is pretty cool!), Hermund, Ingmund, Oddmund, Omund/Ommund, Romund, Vermund and Vilmund.
    I could look for more names in use in Norway but not necessarily Norwegian, Magnus and a whole lot of other -us names have been very popular her, and a lot of the Biblical names are more intriguing in Norwegian than what you're used to (Matteus for Matthew, Johannes for John).

@Zoevictoria - Sol is Norwegian, she's a Norse goddess of the sun and the Norwegian word for sun, but in the case of Solveig she means 'house' via 'salr' the Old Norse name for 'hall'. Sol on her own means 'sun', Sol with something else (Solveig, Solhild, Solvor etc.) means 'house'. She's on this list because she's only in use here, and because Norway is not the only place where Sol is a name, so she's not only Norwegian.

Seeing this thread again is fun, if people are interested, I could perhaps use some more time and look into more names to offer up for export I think I made some lists a while back I could probably do it again... ^^

@miloowen - I made this post a long time ago, and I htink it would look very different if I wrote something similar today, so yes, many of the names have English counterparts. The tantemobile sounds like fun ^^ It reminds me of a story my mother likes telling about an American visiting Norway. He wanted to see a glacier so they drove him up as close as they could and all you can really see is snow. He was waring trainers and shorts and a t-shirt and merrily went on his way across the snow against all protests shouting 'Up to see the glacier!', to return a couple of hours later, satisfied with his glacier experience. My mother says she was really worried, you need professionals to take you many of the places because they're unsafe, so he could have disappeard and never be found again, but he wanted to see the glacier...
    Berte and Berentine are the only names from your list I think I haven't heard on a 20 something or younger yet. Berte is a slang term in Norway, and not with the greatest associations so I think it might take a while for her to become considered again. Berentine is just too clunky-old rather than funky-old like Albertine. That said, Sofie, Anna and Solveig are the only ones I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone use.

And I have no idea why Märtha Louise called her children Isadora and Tallulah (she has a Maud too). She's practically our only source for crazy celebrity baby names here Although I think some sports guy has a son called Noa Tordenskjold (literally 'thundershield', the name of a Norwegian nobleman and naval officer, you can read about him on Wikipedia) and a musician I came across today seems to have a daughter named India. Place names, and to some extent even word names are practically unheard of here (although I think it will come), and India has no history of use in Norway at all (although Indiana/Indianna has). Oh, and some tv person has a daughter named Ømjer which is a name, but she's the only person called that in all of Norway, and most people would look like a questionmark if you aksed them about it.
    Last edited by dearest; January 14th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

My birth name is Solveig, although I am not of Scandinavian descent. My mom had a friend by that name. Do you know if there are any nicknames used for Solveig? Thanks.