Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Non-Norwegian names only used in Norway up for grabs?

Looking through my Norwegian name books, I find all sorts of names that aren't Norwegian (most of them), but for some reason, they're only in use here, and in very small amounts... Almost all of these beauties have "died" here, but I hate to see them go! So, I thought I would ask you guys for opinions on how easily they be used in English speaking countries, just to see if perhaps I should make an effort to promote them to others ^^

I'll just list them first, so you can get a "true" first impression... If anyone has questions about them, I'd be more then happy to answer ^^

Boys:
    Sophus
    Emrik
    Tinius
    Timian
    Uno
    Waldemar

Girls:
    Alette
    Thomine or Thomina
    Ovidia
    Iverine
    Emerenze
    Sol
    Alida or Elida
    Andrine
    Brita or Britta
    Christiane
    Elmine
    Ellisiv or Ellisif
    Irmelin or Irlin
    Maiken
    Serina
    Siren
    Vivika
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

Want to help me with my lists?
    GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

Re: Non-Norwegian names only used in Norway up for grabs?

Lovely, Dearest, you are back with more interesting stuff on Viking naming habits!

Ailsa
    x

Yeah, I found too many nice ones to keep them all to myself XD

And I hope one day Norway can shake the Viking whale killers image... We're really a lot more!
    Åshild / Norwegian / 24 / Name Collector / Work: Daycare and the Library / Love to bake, read and listen to music

Emerence + Eulalie + Everild + Flora + Helena + Leonor + Louisa + Nimue + Ophelia + Rosalind
    Balthasar + Edmund + Emmanuel + Emrys + Ignatius + Isidor + Leonidas + Oberon + Valentine

GIRLS
    BOYS

Bloom + Blythe + Evening + Mercy + Vesper + Briar + Boone + Forest + Hawthorn + Prosper

Oh sorry, I didn't mean it in any way derogatorily, I would love to find some Viking ancestors. I have been reading up about Viking farmers - they did so much more than just invade! Don't be ashamed of them!

Sorry Dearest, I would not mean to offend you in any way, shape or form, and keep on posting about Norwegian names. Did Norway ever take up the name Maud after Princess Maud of Great Britain became their Queen? I like the name Maud, do you, and it is a variant of Matilda, I believe.

xxxx

keep on posting

I wasn't talking specifically about you!! but I always get the feeling that Viking whale killers is all people really know and associate with Norway, with the exception of Fjords and ancestors, and I hate that! ^^ I'm hard to offend, actually, I just silently realise that I'm glad I'm not like that! (I hope...)

And yes, I think Maud was adopted when Maud became Queen, but I'm not really sure... She's been in use in since the end of the 1800's which is as far back as I can check anything, but she peaked around the time when Maud did become Queen of Norway... She's not much in use nowadays, but princess Mrtha has a daughter named Maud Angelica, which is really cute! (she also has Leah Isadora and Emma Tallulah, so she's practically the sole provider of crazy baby names in Norway... The papers were all over Tallulah and whether or not she was a legit choice and if we should like her or not..!!)
    I actually have Ofelia Maud on my list if I decide to stay in Norway... Ofelia is the most accepted Norwegian spelling, just like we use Filip over Philip ^^

GIRLS
    BOYS