Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nursing Home Names

I read on one of my mom's forums that someone's friend refers to the recent uprise in vintage names as the "nursing home trend", and I just thought it was so funny I had to share. Because I am an older first time mom (39), I do have a harder time warming up to many of the vintage names, because I actually know or knew old people with that name in real life. Can anyone else relate?

Re: Nursing Home Names!

Totally, when I first heard of a baby Violet I almost screamed in disbelief but now I love it. However, I do have some pet hates one of which is Mabel.
    I love the Alyssa's, Nicole's and Courtneys out there.
    PS I have four grandchildren so those names are all fresh for me.
    Psalm 23

Re: Nursing Home Names!

Oh, I can definitely relate - I'm 42! All of my great-great aunts and uncles lived well into their 90s, so I knew them as my "really old" relatives when I was growing up: Grace, Cordelia, Violet, Calvin, Leo, etc.
    Lira ~ Juliet ~ Mahea ~ Lorelei ~ Aviva ~ Minla ~ Maeve ~ Beatrix
    Orion ~ Tiernan ~ Fletcher ~ Sebastian ~ Rhys ~ Kestrel ~ Flynn ~ Riordan

Re: Nursing Home Names

This is too funny! I am in my late 30s and grew up with many elderly relatives whose names are all the rage among "vintage" name fans today. As a child, I could not imagine names such as Eloise, Evelyn, Ruby, George or Alice EVER being given to a baby. I actually felt sorry for my beloved Great Aunts bearing such "ugly, old" names. My how times change! I really do love a lot of these names now, and I admire their history and charm.

Re: Nursing Home Names

Yes, my aunts were Violet, Elaine, Ruth, Ruby, Evelyn, Beatrice, Flora, and Grace. When I was young the only one of those names that sounded elegant to me was Elaine. Now I love them all.
    My Aunt Elaine had so much style that she could have been elegant no matter what her name was.