Names Searched Right Now:

boy name indecision

hi -- i am driving myself crazy trying to name a boy due in ten weeks. i've always been so fascinated by names, now that i have to pick one i am totally incapacitated.

my husband is a little more conservative than i am name wise so we are trying to find a classic name that isn't too popular. i want it to be recognizable as a name with history, without there being several others with the same name in his class.

the short list is probably:
    henry
    oliver
    oscar
    griffin (family name)

i really like henry and oscar a lot. a lot of my family seems to dislike oscar (although i'm not sure i care), henry feels right, but i'm worried it is becoming too popular. this is my first child so i don't have a good sense of the other names out there (other than from the ss website).

anyway, any thoughts appreciated.

Re: boy name indecision

the short list is probably:
    henry - love, but it's very popular depending where you live. In CA it doesn't seem to be as popular as back East.
    oliver - popular, too, but I love it!
    oscar - popular, too, again I love it!
    griffin (family name) - love, but not as much as Henry and Oliver, not very popular

Similar to Henry, but not as popular: Harvey, Harrison, Peter, Thomas - they either sound like Henry or they're classic.
    Remind me of Oliver: Trevor, Miles, Calvin, Julian - all of these are so elegant and flow well.
    Like Oscar: Rufus, Felix, Maxfield, Chester, August nn Gus, Dexter - these are vintage and clunky-cool.

Thanks Susan,

I like a lot of the names you posted, especially Rufus. I don't know, I'm having a really hard time. I may just have to meet the little guy before I can pick.

Quote Originally Posted by teenie
    Thanks Susan,

I like a lot of the names you posted, especially Rufus. I don't know, I'm having a really hard time. I may just have to meet the little guy before I can pick.
    That's what we did with our second baby. We had a list of names ready, and when she was born she just was Laura Elizabeth.
    Rufus is adorable!