Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking opinion on the short list

I'm torn. What are some of your thoughts on our name list? We're locked in to a family tradition of using my hubby's name (Eric) as a middle name, but I also want to represent my dear grandfather, Harold. So, some names have two middles and some do not, depending on if the first name honors my grandfather in a different way (H name, meaning, etc.). We're looking for something classic, but not overused. Any opinions are welcome!

Frederick Eric (I fear Frederick may become too popular)
    Harrison Eric (I love it but hubby is hesitent since our last name begins with "Har", it's also a bit trendy)
    Arthur Eric Harold
    Finn Eric Harold
    Finnias Eric Harold
    George Eric Harold
    Franklin Eric Harold
    Weston Eric Harold

PS - I'm not sure if this matters, but our child will be VERY fair and VERY tall (probably over 6'8"). He will stand out, and probably experience some awkward teenage years (based on my hubby and my bro). Therefore I'm not sure if any of these names will help or hinder his social graces. Thanks for your time!

Re: Seeking opinion on the short list

Hi there! :-)

Frederick Eric: I really love Frederick, but to me, it doesn't work with Eric, because both names end with a "ric" sound. (On second look, Frederick actually contains the name "Eric.")

Harrison Eric: I like Harrison, too, but not with Eric. ("Har" and the "Er" sounds rhyme to me...)

Arthur Eric Harold: I think Arthur is handsome, but depending on where you live, it may be pretty "out there." (I personally love it!)

Finn Eric Harold: This one doesn't flow for me...

Finnias Eric Harold: I'm used to Phineas or Finnian, but I think this flows pretty well...

George Eric Harold: I'd personally use a longer name up front...

Franklin Eric Harold: Franklin Eric doesn't flow to me, but I like the name! :-)

Weston Eric Harold: I think Weston is trendier than Harrison, and Harrison's trendy feel bothered you.

I totally understand that you're locking in with Eric and Harold, but because both have two syllables and start with a similar sound, the flow of the combos are taking a hit. Hmm...

Are other "Har" names an option? I'm thinking of Harvey, Harmon, or Harlan, because they begin with a "Har" sound, as opposed to a "Hair" sound that rhymes with Eric's "Air" sound.

I think that longer names (at least three syllables) work best for the flow:

Benjamin Eric Harold/Harlan/Harvey/Harmon
    Elliot Eric H.... (not the best flow...)
    Finnian Eric H...
    Nathaniel Eric H....
    Sullivan Eric H....
    Sebastian Eric H... (Wait...I think Sebastian and Eric are both from "The Little Mermaid")
    Samuel Eric H....
    William Eric H...

Best wishes to you! :-)

Great feedback! Thank you so much. I actually meant to type Finnian and not Finnias, so good catch. Eric is so hard to work with - I find myself really ticked at his parents :) Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jill
    Hi there! :-)

Frederick Eric: I really love Frederick, but to me, it doesn't work with Eric, because both names end with a "ric" sound. (On second look, Frederick actually contains the name "Eric.")

Harrison Eric: I like Harrison, too, but not with Eric. ("Har" and the "Er" sounds rhyme to me...)

Arthur Eric Harold: I think Arthur is handsome, but depending on where you live, it may be pretty "out there." (I personally love it!)

Finn Eric Harold: This one doesn't flow for me...

Finnias Eric Harold: I'm used to Phineas or Finnian, but I think this flows pretty well...

George Eric Harold: I'd personally use a longer name up front...

Franklin Eric Harold: Franklin Eric doesn't flow to me, but I like the name! :-)

Weston Eric Harold: I think Weston is trendier than Harrison, and Harrison's trendy feel bothered you.

I totally understand that you're locking in with Eric and Harold, but because both have two syllables and start with a similar sound, the flow of the combos are taking a hit. Hmm...

Are other "Har" names an option? I'm thinking of Harvey, Harmon, or Harlan, because they begin with a "Har" sound, as opposed to a "Hair" sound that rhymes with Eric's "Air" sound.

I think that longer names (at least three syllables) work best for the flow:

Benjamin Eric Harold/Harlan/Harvey/Harmon
    Elliot Eric H.... (not the best flow...)
    Finnian Eric H...
    Nathaniel Eric H....
    Sullivan Eric H....
    Sebastian Eric H... (Wait...I think Sebastian and Eric are both from "The Little Mermaid")
    Samuel Eric H....
    William Eric H...

Best wishes to you! :-)

I hope that you don't think my ideas are too way out. I have a combo or two for you to consider.

Harry Eric Arthur I like the flow and I love Harry

It is not on your list but I think that Charles nn Charlie would suit your extra tall, fair son as it is dignified as Charles and engaging as Charlie. Not too way out or dorky, a classic that cannot be overlooked.

Charles Eric Harold.

Harold Eric Weston nn Harry

Tobias Eric Harold nn Toby love this nn.

Jordan Eric Arthur (reminds me of George)

James Eric Finnian I know James is popular but it is one of my all time loves and it flows in this combo.

Frederick Eric In this combo you have Eric repeated ie, erick in Frederick and Eric mn. So that would be repeating the name unnecessarily.

Harrison Eric I think it may be a problem which is a shame as it is my favourite from the list.

Arthur Eric Harold I do not like Arthur as a first name, but if it flowed properly I would put it at the end of the combo.

Finn Eric Harold I think the combo flows but I just don't see it on the man you describe.

George Eric Harold I find George a bit short and sharp, maybe Robert Eric Harold nn Robbie?

Franklin Eric Harold I like Franklin but nn of Frank is not my style. I think William Eric Harold nn Will is very nice

Weston Eric Harold Weston is trendy, and much nicer than Preston but as you seem to like old fashioned classics this one seems an unusual choice. It is nice though.

If you wanted something a little more traditional

Edward Eric Harold nn Ward

PS I like the suggestions of Sebastian, Nathaniel nn Nate and Elliott
    Psalm 23

Frederick Eric (I fear Frederick may become too popular) - The "erick" and Eric are too similar
    Harrison Eric (I love it but hubby is hesitent since our last name begins with "Har", it's also a bit trendy) - Too much "har". Will end up sounding like a bunny in a children's book which is great for a baby or toddler, but hard on a grown man, especally a very tall one.
    Arthur Eric Harold - Love! Arthur is one of my very faves! It is a clunky cool name.
    Finn Eric Harold - fun! He will be cool. This would be a great choice for your tall son.
    Finnias Eric Harold - It's either Finnian or Phineas according to Nameberry. I like Phineas with Eric and Harold the most. NN Finn would be a good idea during the awkward age.
    George Eric Harold - seems a bit tame next to Arthur and Finn or Phineas.
    Franklin Eric Harold - hard to say
    Weston Eric Harold - I like this! Sounds kind of like the Wild West to me. Like he likes to hang out in bars and play poker, and has a sheriff badge on his vest.