Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gretel?

Gretel?

WDYT of the name Gretel? I'm not using I just thought it was kinda pretty!

Re: Gretel?

I don't particularly think of it as pretty (this coming from the person who loves Ermengarde), but it is nice, cute because of the fairytale association and quite individual and sassy.
    Actually, as I've been typing this it's grown on me!
    I think I'm just not fond of it because I'm not keen on 'G' names, personally.

Hmm, I am a bit indecisive about it. I neither love it nor hate it. Love Gretchen, though!

I mentioned before regarding Greta (think it was in games section, though), I knew someone named Gretelise, that appears to be the "usual" spelling, although I think hers had a hyphen, Grete-Lise, Grete-Liese maybe, that'd be some sort of German for Margaret Elisabeth, all in one name. It sounds nicer than it looks in English. She went by Greta anyway.

I think Gretel is one of those, it's pretty, there's that story where they burn the witch who lives in the candy house after being sent to starve in the woods by their parents. In English, it sounds a lot like 'griddle,' or even 'girdle.' I wouldn't. Greta is still ok by me, even if kids did call her Griddle sometimes. I would teach her to be feisty. Liesl is also kind of interesting.

I really like this site, it'll tell you Gretchen and Liesl are still stuck in the Alps with Heidi, but not Gretel - but also that Heidi is short for Adelheid, or what name has become more often suggested lately, Adelaide. "Noble of Birth," and that Elke is another nickname of Adelheid.

I think Gretel is cute, and it understandably reminds me of The Sound of Music. I think it would be a sweet nickname for Margaret. :-)

Good luck! :-)