Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Am I totally off my rocker?

I've been hesitating posting about this because I think I know what most of you will say!

Anyway, I've fallen deeply in love with the name Eilonwy (eye-LON-wee). It's the name of a favorite character in a book by Lloyd Alexander, and my husband loves it too. It's vaguely Welsh although it was actually invented by the author.

I know it's pretty out there and if we had the guts to use this as a first name, we would call her Eila (like Isla). I've loved Isla for a long time but my hubby hates it. He's fine with using Eilonwy and calling her Eila though!

What are your thoughts?

Re: Am I totally off my rocker?

Believe it or not, I have thought about the name Eilonwy before, since I was very young. I love the characters Taran and Eilonwy in the Lloyd Alexander books. So cute! But I would only use Eilonwy as a middle name. It would become very tedious to grow up with a name that nobody can spell or pronounce. A lot of people would wrinkle their noses when they said it. If I were you and I were just in love with Eilonwy, I would choose something that sounds similar:
    Ailsa - Scottish, and has a slightly similar sound. I love Ailsa!
    Anwen - Welsh, has the "w" sound and sounds like she could be a character in one of the Alexander books. I think that of all the names on this list, Anwen feels the most like Eilonwy. But it sounds a lot like Ann. That makes it familiar to people. Then there's that lovely, Welsh "wen" sound at the end to make you so happy!
    Ardith - this is a Hebrew name, but somehow it sounds Welsh.
    Carys - Welsh
    Eloise - similar sound
    Gemma
    Greta - see Gretchen
    Gretchen - has a fairy tale feeling
    Gwendolyn - Welsh
    Gwyneth - Welsh
    Liesl - fairy tale
    Marian, Robin Hood's love. I just love Robin Hood!
    Rowena - Ivanhoe's love. Welsh

Scandinavian names are really pretty, too!
    Annika
    Freya
    Ingrid
    Pippa - this is English, but it makes me think of Pippi Longstocking.
    Thora
    Tove

Also love Dutch names:

Beatrix
    Claudia
    Mariel
    Saskia

Also love names that sound like fairies to me:
    Daphne
    Fern
    Ivy
    Juniper
    Rosamond
    Sylvie
    Tamsin
    Thea

I don't think you are off your rocker at all. I've always had a soft spot for Eilonwy. It has a lovely sound and a mystical feeling to it.

I have a similar problem with a name I love but don't think I'd be brave enough to use. Endelyn (en-DEL-in) is the name of a medieval Cornish saint and I just adore it. I just don't think I'd have the guts to use it though :(
    Trends, styles and quirks of British names:
    www.britishbabynames.com

I think you can get away with it if she goes by Eila. However, if you're unsure, I'd use it in the middle name spot.

Maybe something like Carys Eilonwy?

I think it's beautiful!
    Go for it - I know many people who have to spell their names a lot, and the general consensus is that it isn't that annoying - teachers etc. will see her name written down before they even meet her, family and friends will get to know how to spell it, and people she meets later in life probably won't need to write down her full name very often.
    There would only be pronunciation issues if someone saw her name before they were introduced to her, and teachers normally get round this (or, they did at my school) by writing a phonetic pronunciation of the name next to her name in the register - they soon get to know.