Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Names with the nn Posy

So, you were all so helpful with picking a name for my son, that I thought I'd ask all you name experts about the dilemma my friend is having. She loves the name Posy, but isn't fond of Josephine, which it is traditionally short for. She wants to end up with the name Posy, but doesn't want that to be her daughter's full name, as she says it is too cutesy, what about when she's forty, what if she's a tomboy, etc. (I can see where she's coming from).

We have roughly the same taste in names - classic and feminine, unusual, and often ending in '-a' or '-ia'/'-ea'. For example, Daphne and Ambrosia are favourites.

I hope you can help!

Re: Names with the nn Posy

That's a tough one. Has she considered keeping Posy (or something similar she doesn't care for as much, like Josephine) in the middle? That way she could give her a gorgeous first name but still have a reason to be calling her Posy.

The only names I can really think of that Posy could come from are ones that contain Rose. Rose is nice on it's own, but there's also Rosanna (which I don't think is that great), Primrose (very feminine, like Ambrosia) and Briar Rose (comes with the possibility of just using Briar if she's a tomboy).

I also think that Penelope (a classic she probably won't like if she doesn't like Josephine), Paisley (trendy, yet pretty), Priscilla (very feminine) or Paloma (just barely) could work.

How about Primrose? x x x

The first name I thought of was

Mariposa (pronounced Mare - ih - posa)

It is a street name where I live (as well as a county in California, where Yosemite is located), but it is actually listed on Nameberry as a "rare, romantic choice".

Ooh Mariposa, that's a great one! It means butterfly in Spanish. Very feminine.