Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Is Sadie the next Emma, Madison, Sophie, Olivia, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by karen
    It's hard to predict. I can tell you at least when I went to school in the 70s and 80s, there were no such thing as an Emma or Emily - I can't think of a single name that sound like that from my youth of any of my peers. Possibly Donna was the closest thing, Anna was outrageously nerdy, and some would-be Jennifers were named Jenna "to be different" after a few years. Now we're getting close. Emily stepped in with Ashley. I've mentioned before also Kate and Katie weren't the nn of choice for Katherine but Kathy or more often Cathy, Catherine with a C. We had a small handful of Kathleens also, nothing like the number of Katelyns to add to the Katherines.

I feel Sadie is more like Katie, but for some reasons, not chosen quite as often. It's nickname for Sarah, which has always seen use, while Sadie has not, nor Sally for that matter. My idea here is that the old-fashioned Maggies and Katies sounded familiar to Megan and Cathy of my high school years, while Emma was, like I describe, kind of new to the ear - and however this works, it seemed the same for Jennifer, to evolve from almost nothing, to appeal to all walks of life. Not another altered form of anything.

I would put Sadie in the category of old-fashioned familiar nickname names, with Emma at the extreme top, and all Sadies and Katies (the casual) and then Sophies and Avas (a little more "refined" if you will) sort of accommodate different tastes with similar structure and sound.

I don't think Sadie will boom to the top. Right now it's not even in the top 100, although this doesn't account for people finding any number of proper names to use Sadie for a nickname. It is part of a family of names, and that family of names will eventually trickle off as a new trend of names really fixes in. It is not really a name "like" Sophie or Madison or Olivia in that way, but over time, certain trends remain while some of the names are exchanged for newer less common names. Emma took the top spot from Emily after 12 years - Emily has been in the top 20 for 21 years, and Emma has been in the top 20 for only 7 years. That's a pretty long ride and it's going to end sometime. My immediate guess is that Sadie is a related name in imagery, history, and tone, but just not the most popular one.

What names become popular, and when they do has more to do with the culture in general. People got tired of the modern names and fast, modern things... we like and enjoy them, but at the same time, something's got to give. Family and home and simple things, ecological concerns, really make those simple names more popular than if someone at my school was named Sadie or Emma. That's just the one trend. However, it is cyclical. Sadie will become maybe a little more popular but it's going to evolve again to names that aren't so.... whatever quality that is.

Keep in mind the trend is also to be "different" or steer away from the more popular names, so Sadie is probably not at the top of many people's lists for one reason or another, having so many names to choose from and all wanting to be different. This makes even common names less popular overall than they would have been 30 years ago. I think Sadie could strike a chord for a segment of people reaching for something other than Emma or Kate, so it could become more popular, but not extremely so.
    wow. best.answer.ever. thank you!!

No. It is too eccentric (sp?), quirky even (not in a bad way), to ever gain the level of popularity that Emma, Madison, etc. have. Though it is slightly trendy right now, its quirkiness will keep it from appealing to the masses.

. . . UNLESS a celebrity uses this name for their own baby. Then you are in trouble.

Adam Sandler named his daughter Sadie. I'm hoping he's not quite enough of a celebrity to count :D

Yes his two daughters Sadie and Sunny...

Quote Originally Posted by jan0105
    Adam Sandler named his daughter Sadie. I'm hoping he's not quite enough of a celebrity to count :D
    I keep forgetting he exists, so I doubt he has a lot of influence as to a name's popularity. :)