Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: HELP! :( Baby name remorse!

Hi there. :-) I'm so sorry you don't like the name you chose, but on the bright side, you figured it out now, as opposed to later. I know a woman who changed her infant's name at the 10 month point or so, and everything worked out just fine. And I know it's hard, but try not to worry about being teased by friends, as you mentioned. Naming a baby is important business, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to do it right.

I know of a few Gillians, and while one does pronounce her name with a soft G, the other uses a hard G sound, like the name Gill. And then there's Gillian Anderson, and most people know how to pronounce her name. That said, pronunciation issues may arise, so if this bothers you, Gillian with a G might not be the best solution for you. I do think Gillian with a G looks less modern, and I think it's really pretty.

Did any of Susan's suggestions appeal to you? Have you thought about using Jillian (or even Jill) in the middle, as opposed to up front? Are you interested in first names that don't begin with J?

Don't worry! Everything will work out! :-)

is Jillian WAY uncool? does it sound cheap or trashy? i don't mind not having a super trendy name, just don't want it to seem horribly outdated or not classey. as far as being dated, just fearful it may sound to her like i may think of a name like Judy or Joan...a name i'd expect someone my mother's age to have rather than a peer. i know Jills that i have a positive associations with, but they are my age.

thanks for your support...and from a jill. makes me like jillian a little more :)
    i just always pictured a little girl with a more old fashioned name like a Claire or Charlotte, but my husband is Jewish and we decided to honor tradition in naming with a relatives initials. i never really thought of j names in the past. it just makes it feel weird that her name is such a different style, almost like she's not my kid when i hear it out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by jill
    Hi there. :-) I'm so sorry you don't like the name you chose, but on the bright side, you figured it out now, as opposed to later. I know a woman who changed her infant's name at the 10 month point or so, and everything worked out just fine. And I know it's hard, but try not to worry about being teased by friends, as you mentioned. Naming a baby is important business, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to do it right.

I know of a few Gillians, and while one does pronounce her name with a soft G, the other uses a hard G sound, like the name Gill. And then there's Gillian Anderson, and most people know how to pronounce her name. That said, pronunciation issues may arise, so if this bothers you, Gillian with a G might not be the best solution for you. I do think Gillian with a G looks less modern, and I think it's really pretty.

Did any of Susan's suggestions appeal to you? Have you thought about using Jillian (or even Jill) in the middle, as opposed to up front? Are you interested in first names that don't begin with J?

Don't worry! Everything will work out! :-)

I would suggest thinking it over for at least a week or so before you do the paperwork, no sense possibly walking into another name you want to change again. I think Jillian is a pretty name, and though it's not commonly used much these days, I don't think that alone is enough to feel uncomfortable about it.

That said, aside from other J names to honor J. for Janet, consider alternate forms of Jane. Some are quite interesting or cute, some may be dated or strangely inventive, however.
    http://nameberry.com/list/46/Janes-International-Variations
    http://nameberry.com/babyname/JANE

When you really like a name, try it in conversation with your daughter, so when you feel good about it, you will know and then do the paperwork if you decide not to keep Jillian. I also like Gillian with a G, however, did know someone who pronounced it with the hard g. I think it's a very pretty name that doesn't really have anything going against it, but if you feel as though you've settled and compromised, it's not too late to change your daughter's name to something else that you feel positive or more appropriate.

Do you like the G spelling more than J?
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    I would suggest thinking it over for at least a week or so before you do the paperwork, no sense possibly walking into another name you want to change again. I think Jillian is a pretty name, and though it's not commonly used much these days, I don't think that alone is enough to feel uncomfortable about it.

That said, aside from other J names to honor J. for Janet, consider alternate forms of Jane. Some are quite interesting or cute, some may be dated or strangely inventive, however.
    http://nameberry.com/list/46/Janes-International-Variations
    http://nameberry.com/babyname/JANE

When you really like a name, try it in conversation with your daughter, so when you feel good about it, you will know and then do the paperwork if you decide not to keep Jillian. I also like Gillian with a G, however, did know someone who pronounced it with the hard g. I think it's a very pretty name that doesn't really have anything going against it, but if you feel as though you've settled and compromised, it's not too late to change your daughter's name to something else that you feel positive or more appropriate.