Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

HELP! :( Baby name remorse!

I have been home with my little girl 3 months and can't get used to the sound of her name. I feel SO sad I just can't seem to fall in love with her name the way I am completely in love with my precious daughter. I love older, classic names, but wanted to name my daughter a "J" name in honor of my grandmother (Janet). A friend had just named their daughter Julia, so out of what was left in the J pool we chose Jillian which is a completely different style for the kind of names I usually like. I am afraid this name may sound dated, and people seem to mispronounce it. I'm just not sure, I thought I liked it! 3 months too late to change a name?!?! I really want her to have a name that sounds strong and classey, and most importantly a name she will grow up to love (or at least like!). What do you think of when you hear the name Jillian?

Re: HELP! :( Baby name remorse!

I like the name Jillian. I have a younger cousin named Jillian (she's 14), and most of the family calls her Jilly. I think if you really don't like the name, now is the time to change it before she knows it as her name, and before it can really set in with family members.

Oh, that is tough that you are having baby name remorse. This has happened before on Nameberry. Most of the posters think it's fine to change a baby's name even after three months. But we think it's better to change a name sooner rather than later.
    I changed my name many years ago, and I did it free of charge. There is a book called "How to Change Your Name". You don't have to use a lawyer.
    I nearly named my daughter Jillian, but that was almost eighteen years ago. Jillian is kind of dated now.
    Other "J" names:
    Jacqueline nn Jackie
    Jane - very cool
    Jemima - but you have to be extremely cool to pull this off
    Jocelyn
    Josephine nn Josie
    Jules
    June
    Junia
    Juno

How about a name with a soft "g" sound at the beginning?
    Gemma - Gemma is so cool.
    Georgia - so is Georgia

do you think that spelling it with a g, Gillian, would make it a little more classic or less dated, or just make people mispronounce it more? would kind if defeat the purpose of the "naming after" initials thing, but most importantly now i just don't want my little girl to have a nice name. just changing one letter would save me a little ridicule perhaps for changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by susan
    Oh, that is tough that you are having baby name remorse. This has happened before on Nameberry. Most of the posters think it's fine to change a baby's name even after three months. But we think it's better to change a name sooner rather than later.
    I changed my name many years ago, and I did it free of charge. There is a book called "How to Change Your Name". You don't have to use a lawyer.
    I nearly named my daughter Jillian, but that was almost eighteen years ago. Jillian is kind of dated now.
    Other "J" names:
    Jacqueline nn Jackie
    Jane - very cool
    Jemima - but you have to be extremely cool to pull this off
    Jocelyn
    Josephine nn Josie
    Jules
    June
    Junia
    Juno

How about a name with a soft "g" sound at the beginning?
    Gemma - Gemma is so cool.
    Georgia - so is Georgia

Juliet is a wonderful name too!

I have heard of some other people that have had remorse in the first 3 months but then the name grows on them. I would make sure that you are not just being emotional. Sometimes it can be a lot to bring a new baby home and get used to your new life. If you are sure you don't like the name, then by all means change it now. My J votes would be Juliet, June, Juliana, or Josephine.

FYI. I grew up with a Jillian and have good associations with the name. It may not be one of the "cool" names right now but I personally think it is a strong, classic sounding name.