Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: HELP! :( Baby name remorse!

I know I can only truly speak for myself, but I just know that everyone posting here completely understands what you're talking about. You needed a J name, chose Jillian without really thinking about its style, and now feel completely panicked and remorseful about your choice. It's completely understandable, and I'm so sorry you're dealing with this now!

I personally think it's really important that you love your daughter's name, because you're going to be saying it and hearing it multiple times a day for the rest of your life! If you're not happy with it, there's no shame in changing it, and it's certainly not a crime. You're not the first person this has happened to, and you won't be the last.

As a Jill, I did wish I were a Jillian, because Jill was so short. It is a very perky name, but for me, it's not of the bubblegum-chomping teenager variety. Jill is actually a classic name (Julias were called Jill in Roman times), but it definitely doesn't have the feel of Julia, Charlotte, etc. Like Jillian, Jill is a high-energy name, and while it works with other high-energy names, I completely get what you're saying about Jill/Jillian not having a distinct style. I suppose I've always considered its style to simply be a "high-energy" name.

I would never in a million years put Jillian in the same vicinity as a Makayluh or Addysynne. NEVER! That said, it's your opinion that counts, and if you're really bothered by Jillian, I don't think there's anything wrong with changing it to a name you love as much as you love your baby girl. I think your baby should have a name that you love saying and hearing. A name that fills you with pride, not regret.

If you want to keep Jillian, that's great, and if not, that's great, too. Either way, we're here for you! :-)

(I bet your little Jillian is darling!) :-)

She's a very smiley spunky kid. We originally wrote Katherine Genevieve on her birth certificate. My whole pregnancy I tried and tried to love a J name, but couldn't completely sell myself on any. I put tremendous pressure on myself to name with a J. My whole life my grandma was Janet to me, but we found her name was originally Genowefa (Polish, which translates to Genevieve). This was on her birth certificate, but on her driver's license ect, and to me, she was always Janet.

I went into the hospital for a scheduled c section with no name for my baby. I knew she was going to be a girl though. Names that my husband and could both agree on were Claire, Charlotte, Katherine, and then there was Jillian. My intent was to make Genevieve her middle name, though I kind of had a thing for Charlotte Jane. Claire, though a beautiful name, felt weird for me to call a baby, even though now I still quite like it. I didn't feel brave enough for Charlotte, and also feared it could become too popular and trendy. I felt safe with Katherine, I planned to call her Kate, and I was so in love with Genevieve as her middle name. We wrote in on the birth certificate and were ready to take her home, but when I called my mom to pick us up she sounded so disappointed in our name choice. I panicked and asked for the birth certificate back and changed it to Jillian. I didn't want to disappoint my mom, and I was do indecisive about her name anyway I could hardly think. Her middle name is Paige. I sometimes feel self concise when people ask her name. I didn't send a birth announcement out until a couple weeks ago and she was born in March, and as much as it has to do with being busy moving into a new house, I also think sub concisely this had to do some with my unrest about her name. I hate to put up a last name on this lest someone could look it up and find it, but our last name is Greenberg. So I'm holding a smiley squealing Jillian Paige Greenberg, but am really grieving the Genevieve and feel Kate Greenberg is a pretty nice name, less self concise. I don't want her to hesitate when telling people her name.

I know this is silly, but this is really eating away at my heart. I'm inclined to change it, but my husband is horrified by the idea. In the back of my mind I also wonder, will she grow up and say I liked Jillian better? Or maybe she'd say thanks for changing it! Even if we do have another daughter one day, this was my one chance to use Genevieve and to honor my grandma and I'm feeling sad I let it go.

Hi there! I' sorry you're going through this, I think everyone here understands your dillema and doesn't think you the least bit silly. Only you know what's in your heart, but it sounds to me as though Katherine Genevieve may be the name you truly love. It was your first choice, and they always say to "go with your gut". I also think that using your grandmother's name as a middle name is just as meaningful a tribute to her as using a name with the same initial. I think both of your choices are lovely, and that whatever you decide will suit her perfectly. I don't think your daughter would resent either name.

I feel your pain! I went through the same sort of baby name remorse with my first daughter almost 5 years ago. At six months of age, I had her name changed on the birth certificate. It was the best decision ever. I found a peace with being able to change it to something I loved and then be proud of my daughter's name. We changed both the first and middle name to something compeletly different. My husband came to terms with the change when he found out how important it was to me. Now, he can't imagine her with a different name...we all adjusted just fine. Nothing is wrong with changing your daughter's name. You should feel no shame. As new moms, we all learn as we go. I really think you should go with Katherine Genevieve if that is the name that is in your heart...it's gorgeous! Kate will be a precious nickname that will transition well through adulthood. Genevieve will truly honor your grandmother. Katherine Genevieve is sophisticated, timeless, and has significant meaning. Go with your heart's desire and follow your "mother's instinct". My advice is to not wait until she is 6 months old. Change is better sooner than later. Make the decision now and the adjustment will be even easier for you than it was for me. May your family be blessed and God give you a peace!

I also love Katherine because of the "K" significance. It appears that your name is Kimberly and I think it would be special for your daughter to give her a "K" name like Mommy. At the same time, I think Genevive more obviously honors your grandmother with her authentic name than just coming up with a "J" name. The meanings of Katherine (pure) and Genevieve (lady of the people) are lovely.

Best wishes!