Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I need assistance.. badly

Cordelia - Love, love, love! Cora is a nn, but it doesn't immediatley jump out at ya :)
    Bridget - I don't love this one...and it feels a little off with Gretchen
    Penelope - hmm...is this a little too sweet with Gretchen? To me Gretchen is fiery and spunky...Penelope has the spunk, but maybe not the fire?
    Hazel - I really like this one
    Susannah - Fits well with Gretchen
    Kendall - not my style...
    Molly/Mollie - LOVE! I don't know why I'm so drawn to this name, but I really am
    Elizabeth - I like your other choices better :)
    Josephine - I'd steer clear if you hate the nn's
    Meredith - Fits perfectly with Gretchen...This is my second choice (behind Cordelia)
    Catherine - nn Cate will be inevitable
    Tessa - oooo! Love as well! I think I change my mind...this is second...Meredith third :)
    Genevieve - love, but I'm not sure it fits with Gretchen...too frilly I think...

I love Gretchen! The name that popped out at me was Cordelia! Its so beautiful and underused. That would be my choice :D

Good luck!

Cordelia: I LOVE Cordelia, but I don't think she'll get through life without being called Cora or Delia by someone! I think it's such a gorgeous name!

Bridget: I really like Gretchen and Bridget (they both feel like perky, high-energy names), and aside from the occasional "Bridge" nickname, I think you'll be okay.

Penelope: Just like Cordelia, I love it, but can't see her going through life without being called Nell, Poppy, or Penny.

Hazel: I love it!

Susannah: See Cordelia and Penelope...

Kendall: I'm personally not a Kendall fan...

Molly/Mollie: I do think Molly is cute, but I think it's pretty dated...

Elizabeth: See Cordelia...

Josephine: See Susannah...

Meredith: Other than the occasional "Mer," I think Mer avoids the multiple nicknames issue...

Catherine: See Elizabeth...

Tessa: I can see it being shortened to Tess (love Tess), but I think it's really pretty...

Genevieve: See Catherine....(I think of Evie, Viv, and Gen...)

I love so many of the names on your list, but a lot of them have many nicknames that (I think) are unavoidable. I think Bridget, Hazel, and Meredith would work well, though! While I don't think it's possible to avoid all nicknames, I think some names, particularly longer ones, naturally lend themselves to the shorter forms.

Some names that I think are more nickname-proof than others:

Audrey
    Alice
    Blythe
    Charlotte
    Claire
    Clara
    Cora
    Celia
    Clementine
    Celeste
    Daisy
    Dahlia
    Eliza (less likely to be shortened than Elizabeth)
    Felicity (no obvious nicknames)
    Fiona (other than the occasional Fi)
    Hope
    Ivy
    Iris
    Isla
    Juliet
    Laura
    Miranda
    Mabel
    Nora
    Olive
    Phoebe
    Pearl
    Ruby
    Stella
    Scarlett
    Willa

Good luck! :-)

I love Hazel. If I didn't have a friend with a daughter Hazel, that's what we'd be using this time.

Genevieve and Tessa are both on my list, so I vote for those :) Also, what about Caroline? Caroline and Gretchen sound nice together ...

And I hear ya on not finding the perfect name this time ... with our son, we knew right away, named him at 22 weeks, never looked back. I'm 29 weeks with our daughter and we can't find a name to save our lives.