Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Livia

Livia

Hello Everyone:

My husband and I are considering using the name Livia, but I am concerned about its similarity to Olivia. Do you think that we will constantly be correcting people who hear Livia as Olivia?
    Also, if anyone has any ideas for other Roman names for girls in the spirit of Livia, I would be very grateful for any suggestions!
    Thanks for your help.

Re: Livia

Unfortunately, yes, I think you will be correcting people and she will for the rest of her life. That's not uncommon for a lot of names. Even if you pick a unique name, people will be curious how you came up with it or is it made up (because not everyone knows names they never heard before), besides how to spell it or how to pronounce it.

I don't think Livia is made up, but for example Elspeth or Lisbeth, genuine international variations of Elizabeth, the owner of which would often be correcting people that it's actually not Elizabeth. I'm not sure how much of a dealbreaker that is for you, but even easy names can have people who will want to alter it mentally and call you something different, maybe a lot less often, but still. She might also get "Lydia" in addition to Olivia.

Sorry no suggestions from me. Several people handle that more adequately and thoroughly, and they should be along soon.

Hi Karen,
    Thanks so much for that helpful reply. I hadn't even thought about the Lydia factor! I'm not sure either about how much the confusion factor is a dealbreaker for us - perhaps if Olivia were not currently so popular it wouldn't be that big of an issue. But you're also right that plenty of names will inspire confusion if they're a less common version of a more popular one, or just a bit off the beaten path.

I think Livia is really pretty. It's amazing how people get confused with names. Some people even get confused with my name - just about the easiest name ever. They think it's Suzanne, they call me Susie, they want to know how to spell Susan. If you name your daughter Livia, she may have to correct people once or twice, but then most people will get it.

I think Livia is pretty, but I agree with Karen (I'm sure she makes great lists!) and Susan about the potential confusion. I think Karen made a really good point about Lydia, too. :-)

Roman/Latin names that sound closest to Livia (to me):

Lavinia/Livinia (that extra syllable clears up the confusion, I think)
    Louisa
    Octavia
    Silvia (Latin spelling, although I'd personally go with the more familiar Sylvia/Sylvie)
    Vera (which could actually be a nickname for Veronica, as Susan has suggested before)
    Verity
    Viola
    Viviana
    Vivian

Other Roman/Latin names you may like:

Adriana
    Arabella
    Augusta
    Beatrix
    Cecilia
    Claudia
    Cordelia (nn Cora)