Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Secret Name Heresies

Are there any names that seem to be super popular among the posters on this site (and/or others populated by name enthusiasts) that you secretly dislike? I have a lot...apologies in advance. :) Feel free to defend any names you think are included unjustly.

Matilda
    Imogen
    Felix
    Gus
    Sadie
    Isla
    June
    Georgia
    Sebastian
    Cora
    Elijah
    Dahlia
    Ezra
    Clara
    Amelia
    Ophelia
    Daphne
    Daffodil
    Lachlan
    Barnaby/Barnabas
    Freya
    Edith
    Delilah
    Adelaide
    Charlotte
    Lily
    Atticus
    Clementine
    Estella
    Willa
    Willow
    Olive
    Oliver
    Oscar
    Daisy
    Bronwyn
    Guinevere
    Viola
    Astrid
    Dashiell
    Killian
    Jasper
    Emmeline
    Arabella
    Duncan
    Poppy
    Eloise
    Jude/Judah
    Theo
    Beckett
    Malachi

Re: Secret Name Heresies

Matilda
    Imogen- I think this is so pretty
    Felix- I used to love this one, but not so much anymore
    Gus
    Sadie- cute, but a little too cute for me
    Isla- I'm just starting to get the appeal
    June- I love June because I love the movie Walk the Line (I like the movie more than the real deal). And June is a character in one of my favorite video games.
    Georgia- I don't like this either, I prefer Georgiana
    Sebastian- This is one I'd never consider using
    Cora
    Elijah- hate Elijah Wood
    Dahlia- aww, I love Dahlia
    Ezra-
    Clara- I think this is just sweet
    Amelia- I love this one, but it sounds a little too popular for me.
    Ophelia- I think this is pretty
    Daphne- I Love Daphne, but it's on my "Probably Wouldn't Use" list
    Daffodil- Yuck, I like a lot of flower names, but this one just seems silly to me!
    Lachlan- I don't like it either
    Barnaby/Barnabas-
    Freya-
    Edith
    Delilah- I think Delilah is really cool
    Adelaide- I like it more than Adeline
    Charlotte- sweet, but a little boring
    Lily- I'm so tired of Lily
    Atticus
    Clementine- I LOVE Clementine!
    Estella
    Willa
    Willow
    Olive
    Oliver- Used to be my favorite, but I'm starting to get tired of it
    Oscar
    Daisy- I find this one a little cheesy
    Bronwyn
    Guinevere- I think this is beautiful, can't imagine it on a real person
    Viola- love this one too
    Astrid- I liked this before the Office
    Dashiell- this is my son's name, and I love it!!! But honestly I didn't like it for a really long time, my husband has loved it forever (since The Incredibles came out, that is), and that's how he ended up with the name. I expected to only call him Dash, which I did like. But I ended up liking Dashiell in full, and now I find myself calling him Dashiell more often than Dash, which I really never ever expected. FYI it's pronounced Dash-ull, not Dash-ee-el or Duh-sheel!
    Killian
    Jasper- seems like a girls name to me
    Emmeline- boring
    Arabella- I don't find this pretty at all! Don't know why!
    Duncan-
    Poppy- I love Poppy, but feels too popular, even though it's not
    Eloise- I know a little girl named Eloise, and every time I hear her name I think it sounds weird
    Jude/Judah- I think Jude is awesome, but I always think it sounds like "Jew", but I don't like Judah
    Theo- I hate Theo! I love Theodore but won't use it because I hate Theo!
    Beckett- This sounds a lot like my last name, but I like this more
    Malachi- I used to like it in high school

I'll have to make a list later! But one I HATE that everyone loves is Evelyn! I really, really hate that one.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Rufus. I just finished reading "Kindred," so that didn't improve my image of a name I already didn't care for. There are several names on your list that I also dislike, and several I like. Most of them I'm indifferent to. There's no accounting for taste; I'll give the frequent Nameberry posters credit for looking into a broad range of names, for generally favoring real names, and for sharing my obsession. :) As a general rule, I'm far more conservative with boys' names, so that's why you'll see more of them listed here.

Others I'll cop to disliking:
    Felix
    Hudson
    Jasper
    Rex
    Gus
    Finn/Finnley
    Beckett
    Winston
    Hugo
    Harper
    Imogen
    Jemima (Special note here: Is it correct that this is common outside the U.S.? It has some serious baggage here but I wouldn't object to it elsewhere)
    Edith

If it makes anyone feel better, I'm fond of the name Yvonne, which is totally trashed on this site.

Arabella, Bronwen and Evelyn.
    Arabella is just so so pretentious, and the soft "ella" sounds out of place next to the rather has "rab" sound (and this is coming from a huge proponent of the name Octavia), and the whole thing just sounds like some made up Disney princess who lives in Arabia.
    Bronwen and Evelyn are rather ugly (although I do like the nn Eve/Evie for Evelyn) and Evelyn is a boys name!
    I'm really really sorry, I know some lovely people with these names and I can definitely understand why people use them, and I'd much rather meet Arabella than I would yet another McJaidynneLyn, but I just have weird biases against certain names.

Matilda: I think it's a spunky name...

Imogen: I love its feel, but wouldn't use it...

Felix: I think it's a cool name, but wouldn't personally use it...

Gus: I like it as a nickname for August or Augustin...

Sadie: I think it's a cute nickname for Sarah...

Isla: I do like Isla (knew one growing up), but wouldn't use it myself...

June: I'm not a fan of June, but love Jane...

Georgia: I love Georgia's combined spunk and elegance, but prefer Georgiana.

Sebastian: I think it's handsome, but as a middle name...

Cora: I love Cora, both on it's own, and as a nickname for Cordelia. I love its old-fashioned, elegant feel.

Elijah: Not a fan of Elijah...

Dahlia: I think Dahlia is regal..

Ezra: I do love Ezra, not only because it's a Biblical classic, but because it isn't heard often. That said, it's too close to Eliza for me...

Clara: I personally wouldn't use it, but I think it's a lovely name...

Amelia: I think Amelia is great!

Ophelia: I'm not an Ophelia fan, not only because of the "I'll feel ya" teasing, but because I have a habit of putting the prefixes "hem" and "ped" before it...

Daphne: I love this name's sophistication, but wouldn't use it due to Daffy...

Daffodil: I hate this name, and haven't seen it suggested on Nameberry. I've seen it used in some games, and couldn't believe it...

Lachlan: I personally wouldn't use it, but wouldn't think it awful if someone else did...

Barnaby/Barnabas: See Lachlan..

Freya: I HATE Freya! I only think of frayed fabric.

Edith: I'm not an Edith fan, either, but it's growing on me...

Delilah: I'm not a Delilah fan. If I'm not reminded of the Biblical story, I'm reminded of that annoying radio host, Delilah.

Adelaide: Not an Adelaide fan...

Charlotte: I do love Charlotte, due to its classic roots, elegance, and simplicity.

Lily: I used to love Lily, but its popularity has ruined it for me. Lillian, on the other hand, I think is awful.

Atticus: I do love it, but as a middle name, due to To Kill A Mocking Bird and Atticus Finch's morals and ethics.

Clementine: I think Clementine is very sweet, but I'd keep it in the middle.

Estella: Not a fan...

Willa: I love Willa! There's something quite elegant about it for me.

Willow: HATE Willow! It's 100% Palin to me, and just...ick...

Olive: I think it's a cool, quirky name, but not on my child!

Oliver: Oliver is one of my favorites..

Oscar: Oscar is still 100% Grouch to me.

Daisy: I think Daisy is sweet, but I love floral names (just not Daffodil)..

Bronwyn: I think it's a nice Irish name for someone looking for something Irish and different.

Guinevere: Guinevere is really regal to me, but I wouldn't use it, personally. Genevieve fits the bill for me!

Viola: I think Viola is charming...

Astrid: I highly dislike Astrid, and when I hear it, I think of two not nice words...

Dashiell: LOVE Dashiell! I think it's handsome, masculine, professional, classy, etc...

Killian: Not a fan of Killian or any name beginning with a synonym of murder...

Jasper: I'm neutral on Jasper...

Emmeline: I've loved Emmeline since I was a little girl, but wouldn't use it now due to Emma, Emily, and Amelia's popularity.

Arabella: I think this one is really elegant, but I personally wouldn't use it...

Duncan: Donuts.

Poppy: I'm not a fan of Poppy as a first name, but don't mind it in the middle....

Eloise: I LOVE Eloise! I think of a spunky little girl who grows up to become and elegant attorney.

Jude/Judah: Not a fan..

Theo: I think Theo is a great nickname for Theodore...

Beckett: This one's with Bronywn for me...

Malachi: Ick

Like Lyndsay, I don't care for Evelyn. It's still 100% nursing home to me, although I did think it was pretty for a few days. I like Eve, Eva, Evangeline, and Genevieve, though.