Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hang-up's with girls names!

Hi.

We're stuck on a girls name! Not expecting yet, but hopefully soon. I have a few options but need some advice on my hang-ups with them!

Sylvie - had an aunt Sylvia who I used to call Sylvie, would be a very meaningful name for me. Like it as I think it's both cute and classic, but does it sound too old?

Sasha/Sacha. Is this too similar sounding to my name (Natasha)?!

Cameron. Love the Scotish connection as my husbands family are Scots, so would go well with our surname. Love Cammie as a nn!

Rachel. Our very ordinary and boring choice, but there's something about it, it's pretty sounding! Too boring?

Francesca. Like the style of this name, classy and Italian, but hate the nn Fran.

We have chosen Nate as a boy's name, so if I end up with a boy and girl, I would like something that sounds good with this.

Hope you can help! Would welcome suggestions :-)

Re: Hang-up's with girls names!

Sylvie - LOVE!I don't think it sounds too old at all. I think it's adorable, will transition well into adult hood, and I love that it has meaning for you!

Sasha/Sacha.- I think it's a little too close to your name for my liking, plus I know thee Sasha's...and their all boys, so to me this is a masculine name. What about...Justine, Kala, Krista, Ava, Elena, Vera, Elyse

Cameron- I like it, especially with Cammie as a nn! But I prefer the spelling Camryn for a girl. Other possibilities: Rowan, Logan, Avery, Brenna, Brynn, Morgan, Devin, Sheridan, Darby

Rachel- not boring, just over used. You have so many other lovely choices that are unique and beautiful, that I would go with one of them over this. Other classic names that are less common: Naomi, Miriam, Elsa, Joanna, Cecilia, Marina, Victoria, Susanna, Camille, Helena, Clara, Adeline, Alice, Beatrix, Leona, Cora, Emmeline, Gwendolyn, Juliet, Lydia, Dinah, Jemimah, Margery, Nora, Penelope, Ruth, Virginia, Rosemary

Francesca- Not my style, and I don't know if Frann is avoidable (I hate it to- reminds me of the TV show The Nanny- ick!) But it wouldn't be too bad if you could come up with another nn- unfortunately, I have no ideas:( Similar names: Cassandra, Felicity, Cordelia, Annabella, Natalie, Priscilla, Callista, Amelia, Julianna

My vote is still for Sylvie because it is gorgeous and has a great meaning for you!

Hi.

We're stuck on a girls name! Not expecting yet, but hopefully soon. I have a few options but need some advice on my hang-ups with them!

Sylvie - Sylvie doesn't sound too old at all! It sounds young and sprightly and pretty to my ears. It means 'from the woods' and it sounds like silver, it's just gorgeous! Makes me think of moonlight beaming down through the trees (haha). And if it has meaning, then even better.

Sasha/Sacha. Yes, I think it is too similar sounding, but you could always use Alexandra/Alessandra nn Sasha (and these names have the options of other nicknames, too)

Cameron. Mmm, this seems very masculine to me. How about in the middle? Or there are some nice scottish girls names... Fiona and Isobel are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. But yeah, if you love Cameron, go for it :D

Rachel. It is pretty, and it's a classic, as well as being ageless. Not boring at all. She'll probably stand out amongst the Makayla's and Madycynnes of this world, too

Francesca -Very classy, light and airy. I'm not a huge fan of Fran, either, but most Francesca's I know are either called Ces (pronounced Chess), Frank/Frankie or just Francesca.

I vote Francesca or Sylvie. Sylvie and Nate probably make a better sibset.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie
    Hi.

Sylvie - Sylvie doesn't sound too old at all! It sounds young and sprightly and pretty to my ears. It means 'from the woods' and it sounds like silver, it's just gorgeous! Makes me think of moonlight beaming down through the trees (haha). And if it has meaning, then even better.

Sasha/Sacha. Yes, I think it is too similar sounding, but you could always use Alexandra/Alessandra nn Sasha (and these names have the options of other nicknames, too)

Cameron. Mmm, this seems very masculine to me. How about in the middle? Or there are some nice scottish girls names... Fiona and Isobel are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. But yeah, if you love Cameron, go for it :D

Rachel. It is pretty, and it's a classic, as well as being ageless. Not boring at all. She'll probably stand out amongst the Makayla's and Madycynnes of this world, too

Francesca -Very classy, light and airy. I'm not a huge fan of Fran, either, but most Francesca's I know are either called Ces (pronounced Chess), Frank/Frankie or just Francesca.

I vote Francesca or Sylvie. Sylvie and Nate probably make a better sibset.
    Ha! Sorry to be unoriginal Rosie, but I was going to say pretty much exactly what you've written
    Sylvie (a fave of mine for years) is lovely and spritely - definitely not old at all; I adore the suggestion of Alexandra nn Sasha, as Sasha is perceived as rather masculine; and it is possible to avoid unwanted nn. Fran feels really dated to me, so I don't think everybody will shorten the name to that instantly. If you insist on not having the nn, people will follow. I've done that with my son Oliver, as I despise the nn Ollie - and it's worked well :) Just keep on insisting!

Sylvie: I personally don't care for Sylvie, but I'm sure that could change if I met a darling Sylvie. :-)

Sasha/Sacha. Like the others said, it's too close to your name. :-(

Cameron: The masculine Cameron doesn't fit in with the classic/vintage/feminine names on your list. If you're looking for Scottish names, what about:

Adair
    Annabel
    Elspeth
    Fiona
    Flora
    Greer
    Isla
    Rowan

Rachel: I love Biblical names, but Rachel feels pretty tired to me. :-(

Francesca: I LOVE Francesca! I think it's elegant, sophisticated, and timeless. I agree with the poster (I think it was Sophie?) who mentioned Frankie as a great nickname. I think Francie is cute, too.

I love Nate, but only as a nickname (which it is) for Nathaniel or Nathan. Nate on its own feels too unsubstatial, like naming someone Liz, but not Elizabeth.