Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Priscilla

Priscilla

My thoughts have changed about this name a bit over the years--when I was young I thought it sounded dated, and the "prissy" association was unpleasant, but it was still classic, as there are so many historical and literary Priscillas (it's even biblical). Now that I'm hearing more old-fashioned names being resurrected, I think Priscilla could easily hold her own among them. I also have a great friend with this name, and while many of my classmates' names have started to sound somewhat dated (80's names), hers is aging well, and has that appealing three-syllable, l's and vowels sound that I like, and seems unlikely to become trendy. "Cilla" is a better nickname than Prissy, too. I'm not having kids yet, and there are tons of names I like, but I'm just wondering what all of you think of Priscilla? Can we bring this name back? I see it as a trustworthy, intellectual sort of name, and a little old-fashioned--what are your associations? Should it wait another generation?

Re: Priscilla

I think this fits in with names like Dorothy, Josephine, Eleanor, Louisa, Marion, and Vivian: just on the verge of coming back, if they haven't already like (like Eleanor and Josephine). My problem with Priscilla isn't its style, because I love old-fashioned names. I just dislike how it sounds -- the "s" in the middle makes it sound hissy to me, and the "pr" and the fluffy ending are just to, well, prissy, which I'm sure isn't helped much by the actual "pris" at the beginning. That said, if I met a little girl named Priscilla, I'd be tremendously excited, and the name would probably grow on me. It just doesn't have the right sound for me to use personally.

"Dorothy, Josephine, Eleanor, Louisa, Marion, and Vivian"

Exactly--those are just the sort of names that make me think it could come back. Vivian is my favorite out of this group of names, including Priscilla. I can see the hissing potential, yeah. To me it's not far off from the sound of Melissa and its myriad rhyming names; it sounds a little familiar in that sense...

I third what the others have said. Priscilla and Penelope have always gone hand-in-hand for me, and I totally see them both coming back into style. I also like the nickname Rilla.

Good call! I have no doubt that there will be a few little Priscillas showing up here and there. I also love the nn Rilla (love it even more for MarillaI've always been an Anne of Green Gables fan!).
    :: o l i v e ::