Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: I'd love advice for our daughter's name!

Hi

Brooklyn -- has a deep meaning for me. I lived there for 8 years. My great grandmother settled there from the old country. My grandmother and mother grew up there and my husband's grandfather and father are from there. My husband is from Manhattan. No one seems to want to name their child Manhattan even though it's more glamorous.

Cecilia -- great name
    Eden -- sounds like a stripper to me
    Eliana -- el-ee-AN-a? If you are expecting it to be pronounced el-ee-AN-a I think you are ok.
    Evelyn -- Nice
    Isabel (too popular?) -- yes. Much too popular.
    Luka -- I agree with hubby. I hope I do not get that song stuck in my head now.
    Madeline -- Popular but nice
    Violet -- Love it!
    Viviana -- viv-ee-AN-a. Aren't most people familiar with this name?

Good luck. I really would jettison "Brooklyn." It is a great place, but a terrible name.

I have to weigh in on Eliana. I think it's a beautiful, distinctive name, with the potential for mispronunciation but one of the names I think is worth it. One of my best friends growing up was named Eliana, so I'm biased towards it in that way, too. The most common mispronunciation I heard was "Elaina," which was not uncommon but not constant and easily corrected; they just tend to automatically mix up the "a" and the "i." It's pronounced El-ee-ah-nuh. Anyway, you have a great list on the whole!

I agree that you have a terrific list to choose from. Personally, I prefer a first name that does not end in "a" since your middle name choice ends in an "a" which may be too sing-song (although the middle name isn't often stated out loud). My favs from your list (and Jill's) are:

Eden - very pretty (be ready for Edie as a nickname).

Evelyn - does sound a bit dated to me, however, I like Eve

Isabel (too popular?- yes

Luka (hubby hates this because of a bad song- I agree with your hubby!

Madeline (worried about spelling issues): Like this name- My friend just named her daughter Madelyn.

Violet (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?): I like Violet

Viviana (worried about pronunciation): prefer Vivienne

Other ideas:
    Annalee

Genevieve - love this name - My neighbor's little girls spells it with a "J" and her nickname is "jenna"

Josephine
    Juliet
    Julianne
    Tess
    Vivienne

Best of luck!

I agree that you have a terrific list to choose from. Personally, I prefer a first name that does not end in "a" since your middle name choice ends in an "a" which may be too sing-song (although the middle name isn't often stated out loud). My favs from your list (and Jill's) are:

Eden - very pretty (be ready for Edie as a nickname).

Evelyn - does sound a bit dated to me, however, I like Eve

Isabel (too popular?- yes

Luka (hubby hates this because of a bad song- I agree with your hubby!

Madeline (worried about spelling issues): Like this name- My friend just named her daughter Madelyn.

Violet (same name as my aunt, not sure if that matters?): I like Violet

Viviana (worried about pronunciation): prefer Vivienne

Other ideas:
    Annalee

Genevieve - love this name - My neighbor's little girls spells it with a "J" and her nickname is "jenna"

Josephine
    Juliet
    Julianne
    Tess
    Vivienne

Best of luck!

Brooklyn - Sorry, but no. Too trendy. Too flippant.
    Cecilia - lol, what song is that? I'm very partial to Cecilia, it's gorgeous and underused. Light, airy and feminine.
    Eden - THere are enough Eden's floating around that she probably won't get any Garden teasing. I know the cutest little Eden, nn Edie :)
    Eliana (worried about pronunciation) - she'll have to share the playground with all of the other little Elle/a/ie's, but this is very feminine so go for it!
    Evelyn - No, this is lovely - the world could do with more Evelyn's! The nn Eve or Evie spruces it up.
    Isabel - very trendy, but it's a classic (and far prettier than Isabella IMHO).
    Luka - boys name.
    Madeline - mm, most people these days have to spell their names out so I wouldn't worry about this. But yeah, Madel(e)ine and all of her bastard cousins (I'm looking at YOU, Madelyn and Madison) are pretty popular.
    Violet - This is just delightful, and even more so if there's a family connection!
    Viviana - it's pronounced viv-ee-ahh-na, right? Bright and jovial.
    I vote for Eden or Violet.